by K. Samwell on October 10, 2006 in Peripherals
If you enjoy hand writing more than typing, then the io2 pen was made for you. Though this is a product that’s been out for a while, we are taking a fresh look at it today to see if it stands the test of time. In the end, it still proves to be a quality product worthy of your consideration.
I’m a writer. No, not the ‘best selling’ kind (yet) but the kind where I write everything down. I go to a lot of game conferences and yes I’m the geek actually writing down as much as I can of what the speaker has to say. I even still write letters longhand to my friends and family, and I enjoy it thoroughly. There’s something about the cursive text and the tactile sensation of paper that enhances the experience, and gives it a sense of permanance. That, and a pen and paper weighs a lot less than a notebook computer.
Now when it comes to those conferences, meetings, and even short stories, after I write everything down, I then retype it all into a word processing file for easy editing and because my future self can’t always read my writing. And that is why I thought the Logitech io2 Digital Pen would be perfect for me to review. This is not a trivial toy to me, but a tool that I fully plan to utilize.
Lets learn a little more about the Logitech IO2 pen.
The Logitech io2 looks and feels like a luxury pen with its sleek and stylish design. But unlike a standard office pen, it digitally captures everything you write or draw on smart digital paper.
- Writes like a pen.
- Captures your notes and sketches with its advanced optical sensor.
- Up to 40 pages of notes between downloads.
- Up to 8 hours battery power per charge.
The Digital Pen works with “smart” paper equipped with Anoto technology.
- The pen optically reads handwritten information on Logitech digital notebooks and turns it into digitized documents.
- Create calendar entries and other files.
- A variety of paper formats.
The Digital Pen comes with Logitech io2 software, designed to help you find and use your handwritten information easily and quickly.
- New! ioTags deliver direct digital input of your notes into the most popular software and productivity applications.
- Available with services to enhance your digital e-writing experience.
Do more with pen and paper than you’ve ever done before!
- Eliminate re-keying and slash your paperwork time! Go directly from ink to the software and applications you use most often. Back up and quickly retrieve handwritten documents on your PC. It’s all possible with the Logitech io2 Digital Pen. The io2 pen fits your hand like a premium pen, so you can write comfortably. Take notes or draw sketches in ink on the smart paper, and a tiny camera captures your work, storing up to 40 pages at a time. Intelligent power management maximizes every battery charge.
- New ioTag feature lets you take direct action on your notes. You can synchronize emails, appointments, and tasks directly from paper.
- Enjoy a complete solution! The io2 Digital Pen includes everything you need; a digital pen, recharging travel cradle, smart paper, ink refills and handwriting recognition software that has already been integrated into the pen.
- Take direct action and get more from Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes. The new ioTag feature integrates handwritten or typed text directly into Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes. The text opens in the application – so you can immediately take action, save it, or send it. Add-on products and services are also available to enhance your digital writing experience.
- Convert handwriting to digital text. The io2 Digital Pen integrates software that teaches your handwriting to turn notes into digital text that you can edit and use in any application, just as if it were entered directly via the keyboard.
- Export graphics into the most popular formats. Easily use drawings and graphics in almost any application. You can export images up to 300 dpi in the most widely-used graphical formats, including BMP, JPEG, PNG, JIF, TIFF, and EMF.
- Search and organize files. Logitech io2 software helps you find content that you’ve written. Enter any word into the io software search function, and get a list of every handwritten file that contains that word. You’ll never lose your notes again!
- The io2 Digital Pen works with Google Desktop Search too!
I had done a little research before this pen arrived and read that quite a few people found this to be an awkwardly large pen to write with. I disagree. This pen immediately felt natural in my hand, beefy, but not uncomfortably so, and it is very well balanced so there’s no top heavy feeling to it when you write, even if the cap is resting on top. In fact it is almost exactly the same weight and diameter of a Super Sharpie. Overall it is quite lightweight. And left handers rejoice, this is just as comfortable in the left hand as the right.
- IBM or compatible PC
- Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, or Windows XP Home & Professional
- Service Pack 2.
- Pentium III – 500 MHz (700 MHz or higher recommended)
- 256 MB of RAM (512 MB recommended)
- USB port or powered USB hub
- Screen resolution of 800×600 and 256 colors
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (included on enclosed CD)
- Approximately 500 MB of free disk space
- Email support requires a MAPI-compliant email client
- Logitech io2 software
- Installation and reference CD-ROM
- Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
- Microsoft Outlook 2000, XP, 2003
- Lotus Notes 6.0 and above
- Microsoft Word 2000, XP, 2003
- Microsoft OneNote 2003 Service Pack 1
- Vision Objects MyScript Notes for the Logitech io Pen
- Email applications: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.0 / 6.0
- Microsoft Outlook 2000/XP/2003
- Microsoft Hotmail
- Lotus Notes 6.0 and above
- Eudora Mail 5.0 and above
- Netscape Mail 6.2 and above
- AOL 8.0 and above
- Logitech io2 Digital Pen
- Smart Paper: A5 notebook
- USB travel cradle and extension cable
- 3 ink refills (*it actually came with 5 in refills, as you can see in the picture)
- 2-year limited hardware warranty