Techgage.com

Techgage.com (http://forums.techgage.com/index.php)
-   Audio (http://forums.techgage.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Razer AC-1 or Creative X-Fi sound card? (http://forums.techgage.com/showthread.php?t=3884)

James Crysis 08-04-2008 07:31 AM

Razer AC-1 or Creative X-Fi sound card?

I'm thinking about upgrading from my onboard sound to a good quality sound card. It's either the AC-1 or an X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro. I'm leaning more towards the AC-1 because it's $20 cheaper, but I recently had a bad experience with Razer (got two Lycosa keyboards in a row that had faulty touch-panels).

I'm mainly looking for suggestions from people that own/have used these cards before. Let me know what you think about these cards - good and bad!

Thanks.

Rob Williams 08-04-2008 01:29 PM

How much are these cards going for nowadays? I think you'll get better sound from the X-Fi, but sometimes Woot.com offers the AC-1 for insanely low prices ($~60).

The ASUS Xonar is the card I'd personally recommend, but I'm no audiophile, but rather a wannabe audiophile.

Kougar 08-04-2008 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Williams (Post 26315)
The ASUS Xonar is the card I'd personally recommend, but I'm no audiophile, but rather a wannabe audiophile.

Who says you need to be an audiphile to enjoy the $80 Xonar DX? I am so loving this card, don't need a high-end speaker setup to hear the difference between it and HD Azalia.

I'd vote for option three, the Xonar DX. Probably doesn't help ya though, sry. :p

Rob Williams 08-04-2008 04:23 PM

I'll pretend I didn't forget about the nicely-priced Xonar DX...

James Crysis 08-05-2008 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kougar (Post 26316)
I'd vote for option three, the Xonar DX. Probably doesn't help ya though, sry. :p

Sure it helps me :P
I'm open to all options. I haven't been able to read through reviews for all the cards out there so let me know if there is anything else I should be considering aswell. I'll have a look at the DX.

b1lk1 08-09-2008 12:13 AM

Xonar. There is no other sound card as far as I am concerned.

Doomsday 02-15-2009 11:38 AM

hey guys i only have Creative sound cards available here. thinking of buying this one,

Rob Williams 02-16-2009 11:00 AM

The combination will be alright given that speakers don't sound good without a sound card! Nah, the X-Fi is great, I just prefer other cards such as the Xonar for music and such.

Doomsday 02-18-2009 05:34 AM

i now have $740 and though i am itching to spend some mooney i am a bit hesitant on saving em for wen i would wanna upgrade or change my system in the future. Does a good sound card really make that Big a difference!??

Rob Williams 02-18-2009 11:28 AM

My general rule lately is... don't spend money if you don't need to. Unless you have an appropriate setup (I'm not familiar with those speakers, so I can't comment on them), the card might make no real difference to you. If you could get the card for a decent price, and you game a lot (especially with games that use EAX extensions), then it might be worth the cost-of-entry.

Doomsday 02-18-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Williams (Post 29514)
My general rule lately is... don't spend money if you don't need to. Unless you have an appropriate setup (I'm not familiar with those speakers, so I can't comment on them), the card might make no real difference to you. If you could get the card for a decent price, and you game a lot (especially with games that use EAX extensions), then it might be worth the cost-of-entry.

Aaaye thaat be truuue. When i first build this system i was like, WOW the sound quality is very good! unless i get to see that sound card in action and be blown away, i'll save for important stuff. thank u!

Rob Williams 02-18-2009 12:59 PM

Well, chances are you wouldn't notice a difference, but it's hard to say. With my headphones for example, I used to be content with generic models found on NewEgg or whatever, and I was worried that when moving up, I wouldn't notice a difference. Well, I was wrong... I heard a huge difference.

For the most part though, where audio cards are concerned, I believe the speakers will play a larger role than the card, but it's really tough to say. As long as you are happy with your sound currently, an X-Fi probably isn't going to change your life.

Doomsday 02-20-2009 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Williams (Post 29526)
With my headphones for example, I used to be content with generic models found on NewEgg or whatever, and I was worried that when moving up, I wouldn't notice a difference. Well, I was wrong... I heard a huge difference.

which head sets u be using?!? i started playing games while wearing the $25 A4Tech 7.1 Dolby Surround Head Sets and the experience was totally different than on my 4.1 Speakers. It Felt more like i was Inside the game cause there was no outside sound!! now i am wondering how it would be with those Psyko ones or Razer Barracudas!lol!

Hey u have reviews on the Barracudas and others,niice!, i'll check em out too!