View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
marfig
No ROM battery

Yeah. My problem here is the cost associated with SSDs. If you think I'm currently occupying 500Mb of my 1TB mechanical drive, any SSD solution is expensive at this point. Even assuming I could use a smaller SSD to keep up the operating system and some critical applications, while retaining a mechanical drive, I'd still be looking at a system that is needlessly more complicated to manage with two Programs folders and the problems that can bring to legacy applications. But disregarding that argument, I would still have to face the fact that only a portion of my application base would benefit from SSD performance. The rest -- whatever was installed on the mechanical drive -- would remain... slow.

RST however proposes to bring whatever is in a mechanical drive up to the next level. For a more modest price. One that could fit my wallet on a good day. Certainly not as optimal as a full SSD solution, but surely much better of what can be offered by modern fast mechanical drives. For $110, i'd be immediately sold if my system currently supported it.
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote