View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
marfig
No ROM battery

Jamie, thanks a bunch for reviewing a keyboard. It's not often we see that happen outside the mainstream gaming keyboards. And yet the keyboard is my de facto computer tool, second only to the computer itself.

The price actually isn't that far off from what I see on professional -- typist if you will, or work -- keyboards a little all over the place. And I've payed more for worse. This keyboard seems to be all I usually want on a keyboard (with one exception below). The scissor key switch is always a pleasant addition to rubber dome keyboards. It gives a pleasant tactile feeling, adds some life to the keys as you well point out and... maybe a little known fact... also helps to maintain the low noise level for longer (simple rubber dome keys tend to become louder just after a couple of months of use). It's also a sizable chunk of those $60. The build process also seems to indicate a great deal of care in making a durable keyboard; not something you hear everyday about rubber dome keyboards. I'd always pay for that!

The one thing I didn't like: This irritating trend of reducing the size of the function keys. It's very clear from the pictures there's enough vertical space to have had made those keys standard size. It was just and simply a stylish decision. At least they kept the standard 4 key interval (some keyboards don't even respect that anymore). But still, function keys should never be smaller than regular keys on professional keyboards. They sit far from normal finger positions and require the most attention. Why this trend started and why it hasn't died already is one of my pet peeves with modern keyboards.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote