View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default SPEC's CPU2006 Added to Our CPU Test Suite

Alongside Intel's launch of its Sandy Bridge-E processors next week, we'll be unveiling something of our own - an overhauled CPU test suite. Our last major update occurred in late 2008, so we had quite a bit to tweak, add, remove, or replace with the latest iteration. Over the course of the coming week, I'll be making a few posts in our news section like this one, explaining some of the new tests we're introducing, why they make for a great CPU benchmark, and of course, why they're relevant.

The first benchmark I wanted to talk about is also the most time-consuming and complicated: SPEC's CPU2006. Don't let the five-year-old name fool you; the benchmark received its latest update a mere two months ago. The goal here is to test both the compilation and execution performance of a machine. In addition to stressing the CPU, CPU2006 also takes full advantage of the memory sub-system and also the compiler.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote