View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
marfig
No ROM battery

Can't see Firefox changing the tide either.

It just seems its going that downward spiral of past great applications once they meet their match and stop becoming the cool option everyone wants.

To me, the decison to move to Chrome was a no brainer. I didn't care about browsing speed (as if that mattered). Just the fact I don't trust any collaborative open source project that moves into a rapid release cycle. My own experience as a programmer tells me it complicates project management:

- Quickly become a mess and hard to manage
- Consistently delay the introduction of important new features
- Makes it harder the process of major bugs fixing

The difficult in managing large projects with people from all over the world is already self-evident without thinking on making it a rapid release cycle. Because large or complex features and bug resolution may invariably seep into the final release not properly tested, it tends to bring beta testing to end users. And quite frankly, a browser is merely a tool to me. I have no desire in becoming a guinea pig to their desire to emulate Chrome's (with a much smaller dev team and thus easier to manage) release cycles.

Chrome also proved to be less bloated. So that came as a bonus, albeit Firefox bloatness never really bothered me much.

On a final note, Firefox decision pretty much alienated its corporate user base (no matter what some may say, like a somewhat recent article on Ars Technica). That alone killed, and will keep killing some unknown percentage of its users.

Unless Firefox completely changes its face, I think this browser will just keep seeing its user base slowly decline, and decline, and decline.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote