Rob's right: Blue is the switch for me. I've sampled five of Cherry's MX line - Blue, Green, Brown, Black, and Red is how I rate the switches, going from my favorite to my least preferred.
I suppose I've been desensitized to the sound that Blues and Greens make. I've never found the Blue switch to be loud; sure, they are audible, but they aren't loud at all.
But for typing, they are absolutely the best (for me, anyway). And as far as gaming goes, in my experience there's no advantage (or disadvantage, for that matter) using any other switch type.
As Rob said, please do share your experiences after getting your new Cherry MX Blue-shod plank!
- Intel i5 2500K @ 4.7GHz (Koolance CPU-370si)
- ASUS Maximus IV Extreme P67 Rev B3
- 16GB (4 x 4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
- Samsung 830 128GB + 2 x Seagate Momentus XT 750GB (RAID 0)
- Zotac nVidia GeForce GTX680 (EK FC680 full-coverage block)
- XSPC RX360 + 6 x AP15 Scythe Gentle Typhoons
- ASUS Xonar Essence STX
- Corsair AX750
- Enermax Fulmo GT