View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

The price of GPUs should reduce now, since the profitability of using a GPU to mine bitcoins is almost reaching the point of using CPUs about 2 years ago. FPGAs and ASICs are beginning to replace GPUs (although the company providing them is somewhat shady), since they are purpose-built for hashing. Also, the price-hike for NVIDIA is a little odd, but may be to do with the fact that either people are unenlightened about NVIDIA being a less ideal option for hashing compared to AMD, or that they're still a better alternative to using a CPU, or further still, people who want to game are leaving AMD for NVIDIA in droves due to price hikes, and thus causing a hike in NVIDIA GPUs in the process.

Also, be aware that sites that accept bitcoins, don't actually accept them directly, they use an exchange and get paid in real currency as per usual. It's the exchange that gets the bitcoins and then pays the value in currency to the store. The only company taking a risk is the exchange.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is online now   Reply With Quote