Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Processors

Processors Can't decide about which CPU to purchase? Want to discuss CPU architecture? Your place is here.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default AMD Attempts to Shape Trinity Launch Content - But How Much Does it Matter?

AMD will be launching its Trinity APUs early next month, marking the first follow-up to its Llano release from last year. While not a high-end part like Bulldozer, AMD is touting Trinity as being a great desktop product and perfect for the HTPC. Whether or not that actually proves to be the case, we'll find out soon enough.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Last edited by madmat; 09-27-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
madmat
Soup Nazi

Sorry I had to edit your post but the link wasn't working for some odd reason.

As to the content, I agree that forcing a two staged review is pretty lame. In my opinion they're attempting to prolong their fifteen minutes of fame by letting one review carry the momentum over from the first. Either that or they're scared that the CPU performance is so weak that they need to get the APU performance out there first to get some positive press initially.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

If the CPU performance on this chip was stellar, AMD wouldn't have asked for a roll-out like this, that's for sure. In essence, it admits the CPU performance is "good enough", while the graphics is top-rate (as far as that goes for IGP). It's a smart business move, but not great for consumers who might not bother to read the actual conclusions.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Kougar
Techgage Staff

It took some thinking on this... but I do have to agree with Scott's point-of-view here. What this tactic is, is a double-edged sword.

The first "wave" of 'reviews' praises the GPU, and so the uninformed public will get a generally positive view of the APU design. Many people won't read follow up 'reviews' that add in all the missing benchmarks.

This is a double-edged sword, because if a site refuses to release such a highly selective "preview" then they will miss a very large portion of the initial readership that has been interested in the product. It seems like the majority of readers will read a preview elsewhere, and simply not read any further reviews. This will hurt any site that decides against publishing early, while also at the same time helping other sites that decide to fall in line and publish the limited story.

What AMD is doing here goes far beyond a typical "preview" release. In a typical "preview" article there are a few options: 1) a site can release information but not benchmarks of any kind, or 2) They get early access to the hardware and are free to run & publish any tests they wish on a preconfigured system. AMD has effectively found a third option... they can control what gets published, and in doing so present their product in the best possible light while completely hiding its shortcomings.

While what they have done isn't terrible, it is still bad and highly questionable. But more importantly, it sets a very dangerous precedent that WILL be taken advantage of by companies that are hard-pressed to push their products any other way.

Sure, a tech-enthusiast wouldn't be fooled by this. But are these sites publishing content for tech-enthusiasts, or Joe public?
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
madmat
Soup Nazi

Now that the curtain has been lifted completely and full reviews are starting to trickle in, does anyone have any thoughts?

The CPU performance that I've seen doesn't seem terribly bad. I'd wager it's better than the 940BE I'm still rocking in my main rig by a good margin.

Add in the integrated DX11 graphics which aren't bad performers on the few games I've seen used in the reviews I'v skimmed and it seems like a solid budget offering.

If it wasn't for the fact that it uses ATI graphics I'd be interested in it but that's my hang up as I dislike their drivers.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Well, the review I saw stated the AMD Trinity part had around a 5-15% performance loss compared to its nearest Intel priced equivalent, on CPU performance. That's bad, but it is also isn't all doom and gloom.

That said... it's cheapest Intel equivalent has no turbo mode and is a cut down i3 running at way lower clocks. So that's bad, because Intel has chips performing significantly better on offer. Intel also has Haswell around the corner.

Now that the reviews are live I don't think it really changes anything. AMD got what they wanted (and some extra bad press they didn't want) out of the arrangement.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote