Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Review

The latest incarnation of the world's most popular anti-terrorist game series, Counter-Strike, has just arrived. Global Offensive brings many changes to core mechanics, adds new game modes, and improves visuals. Will these changes help bring back old players, or has the bomb finally detonated on the series?

Check out Brandon's full look (and first article!) at Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
Big Red Machine
Hellfire and Brimstone

Cool review, Brandon!

I've never played CS, but I have buddies who do, and they love it. None of them have tried CS:GO yet (as far as I know), but based on your review it looks like a good way to keep interest in the series going. If nothing else, your review's got me curious about trying CS for the first time.

I'll pass your review on to my friends; hopefully a few of them will see fit to comment on the review and the game as well.

Good job!
Big Red Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Great review, Brandon.

I have got to test this game out soon. I never was into the original, but sunk hundreds of hours into Source, until most of my friends went onto other games. I have a soft-spot for cs_office ;-)

I'm still iffy about some of the map alterations, but there are a couple of upgrades I love. The player list up top, showing who's dead or not? Awesome. Seriously. Also impressed with the addition of the Molotov... seems so un-CS like, but it could really add a certain dynamic to smaller maps, where you could literally block off an all-important hallway.

All-in-all, looks to be a great update for the series, and it's sure hard to complain about the $15 price tag.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Kayden
Techgage Staff

Thanks Rob & Big Red Machine.

@Big Red Machine: It's defiantly worth a look. I wish there was a guest pass or something, not like it isn't possible to do with steams inventory system.

@Rob: Let me know and I'll join you. I think you will like what you see. (c:
Koolance PC4-1036BK Liquid Cooled Aluminum Full Tower Case (Upgraded to displace 1320watt of heat) - Koolance 360 ver 1.2 CPU Water Block - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Fluid - Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel I7 950 - Evga GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 x2 in SLI - Tt SMART M1200W PSU - Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600 XMP - Klipsch 5.1 THX Cert Speakers - Sata II OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Kingston 120GB SV300, WD 2TB, & 320GB - Seagate 1TB - Cyborg RAT 7 MMO Mouse - Logitech G19 - Logitech G13 Gameboard - 1-over-3 Viewsonic's VA2448M-LED 24-Inch for Nvidia Surround - Ergotech Triple Horizontal LCD Monitor Arm Desk Stand

Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
RobbyBob
Obliviot

I've been playing the CS series since 1.4, and I have to say that I love GO. I think all of the map alterations are done in good taste and help to balance the game out a hell of a lot more. There was a time when de_dust was so CT-sided that it was almost unplayable as a T. Now dust is about as balanced as I think it could get without turning it into dust3.

The weapons are also vastly improved. In Source I would stick with the M4 or AK almost exclusively, but I find myself using every one of the weapons now. Also, the AWP isn't completely over-powered, since the current weapon array is able to balance it out. The Molotov was really a game-changer. I use it to block paths behind me when rushing so I don't get flanked.

Oh and Rob, you said you have a soft spot for cs_office? Well, I really do think you'll like GO's version. I hated Source's version of office for whatever reason, but the subtle changes they've made completely fixed it for me.

Edit: I think that this game was a steal at 15 bucks. I've already put >100 hours on it (I'm between employment right now, so I decided to take a little break with what money I have saved up).

Last edited by RobbyBob; 09-07-2012 at 06:23 PM.
RobbyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I'm looking forward to giving it a GO (had to) soon. I am busier than ever at the moment so it's hard to get the ambition to hop into a new game... Borderlands 2 will be an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBob View Post
I think that this game was a steal at 15 bucks.
Based on everything I know about the game, that sure seems to be true!

Tags
None