Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > General Software

General Software Apple, Linux, Windows, alternative OS and software application chat here.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Default Windows 8 Launches Friday - Will You Be Buying It?

It feels like we've been talking about Windows 8 forever and to such a degree that it's sometimes hard to believe it isn't even out yet. In fact, some people have been running the RTM or preview release for months, and companies like AMD, NVIDIA and Intel have stepped up to the plate well in advance of the official launch to release supported drivers. Thanks to this resounding support, we can hope Windows 8 will be become a problem-free launch - but does that matter to you?

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Brett Thomas
Senior Editor

I avoid early MS releases like the plague. Windows 8 has a ton of retoolings, and retoolings always mean 1) Unoptimized code, and 2) security vulnerabilities. Granted, I may just try it out...my windows install took a shit recently so I have been meaning to reinstall anyways. But in general, I tend to cringe and avoid unless curiosity gets the better of me.
Brett Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Big Red Machine
Hellfire and Brimstone

Per the article: Am I planning to upgrade to Windows 8 once it's available? Nope. Why/why not? No need to. Windows 7 works very well for me indeed, and buying something new to replace something that works makes no sense to me.

Could I eventually change my mind about Win8 and adopt it in the future? Sure. Anything is possible. But at this point, would I want to PAY for it? Absolutely not. Not when I've already paid for Win7 and have no problems with it.

Question: What would make you want to "upgrade" operating systems as and when they first come out? I've only jumped on a new OS bandwagon once, and that was when Win7 came out. Granted, I'd been on WinXP at the time, so I was happy to move on to DX11. Didn't get Win7 on launch day, but definitely did months before SP1 was issued.
Big Red Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I am a sucker for new things... I upgrade most often even if I don't "need" to. I just like knowing I have the most up-to-date OS (this goes for Linux also) possible. Now, if I couldn't get past the Start page, and it bothered me enough, that right there would cause me to back off and sit out a release for once.

As for jumping on an OS right at launch, I think the risk is far smaller than it used to be. It's never been common for Microsoft to detail every little thing before launch, much less get a beta into the hands of common folk early. There's a huge difference between how MS rolled-out Vista and then 7, and 7 turned out to be a winner.

Windows 8 has been beta tested for what... six months or perhaps even more. Then there's the fact that the OS in its current form has been complete since August. Even many companies offered drivers for it at that time. As it is now with my own installation, I haven't run into a single roadblock that I'd expect to with a new OS launch. Whether or not everyone will find themselves in that position, I'm not sure.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
madmat
Soup Nazi

If it wasn't for the fact that you have to re-learn the OS (really? They need to hide the power button from the users?) and them being determined that you're going to use a touch inspired interface whether you want to or not, 8 wouldn't be a bad OS. I know when I installed in on the VM Ware on this PC that it installed very quickly and worked well, I just hate (HATE!) the interface. I'll stick to 7 until they either fix 8 or come out with an OS that's more traditional.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
marfig
No ROM battery

I will probably be forced into Windows 8 despite my many complaints about it. Let's be clear I don't agree with the UI philosophy, so my relationship with this OS is as bad as it can get. I trust the UI principles that we have been sharing since Windows 95 have been particularly beneficial to everyone involved. Computers today are used by everyone, whether you are 8 or 80.

Metro UI philosophy is borrowed from tablet OSes and the ideas behind touch interfaces. It seems great for tablets and people with touchscreens who won't go into a world of muscle pain from using a touchscreen while seated on a desk the entire day. Metro UI is horrible for anyone else and completely unnecessary.

However I'm a software developer. And I'm in an particular bad position since I'm on the verge of starting a software development company of my own. I cannot ignore Windows 8, particularly because it includes a specific development framework that needs to be studied, learned and eventually programmed against.

But buying that offensive piece of crap? No. I'll get it from my MSDN account. And I cannot possibly see me ever using it as my home operating system. Windows 7 will remain so. My only hope is that Windows 8 fumbles and the world goes back to be a normal place.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Last time I booted into 8, I couldn't find the shutdown button .... so no.

I'm just going to watch the show for now, see what happens.

Of course you could just download 8 through a torrent. Nothing's stopping you. That's what everyone at my office did when 7 came out. Of course most of the people at my last workplace were douchebags.

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
MacMan
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Machine View Post
Per the article: Am I planning to upgrade to Windows 8 once it's available? Nope. Why/why not? No need to. Windows 7 works very well for me indeed, and buying something new to replace something that works makes no sense to me.
I agree, Windows 7 is one sweet OS, but I still find Windows 8 to have its charm, but not enough to replace Windows 7.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Newegg was selling Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $30 (10 off) as early as two weeks ago. I didn't pre-order it then, so I certainly wouldn't buy it now. The price is attractive, but the OS certainly is not. Once the user installs the usual array of programs the start screen and program listings will be cluttered as ****. Even the old-fashioned programs menu had better organization by grouping all software under the publisher's title / name.

So example, one would have a single folder for "Adobe". Under Windows 8, the user will see six or more icons for every single piece of cruddy Adobe software, such as the AIR, updater, and others. Microsoft Office is another program... instead of an Office folder, users get to see every singel installed office program, including those they never use. I don't see how removing folders and just dumping their contents into a single screen is more "organized", or efficient.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Last edited by Kougar; 10-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Not really sure if I will move to Win8, I am happy with Win7 so far..... I miss the dreamscene that was in Vista Ultimate
GTX280 GPU watercooled
Synology NAS 207 Network Server with 2 Hitachi Terabite drives
LG NAS N2R1 with 2 ea 2 tb drives
LINKSYS PLK300 Powerline Network Kit

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #11
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

I DO have another machine with no OS sitting in the corner. If I hear something good...and it has to be really good, then I'll load a builders system of Win8
GTX280 GPU watercooled

Old 10-24-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I DO have another machine with no OS sitting in the corner. If I hear something good...and it has to be really good, then I'll load a builders system of Win8
Just tried to see the preview of Win8 and it said I needed SilverLight. I don't want Silverlight on my system. There seems to be a backdoor for maleware to sneak in from what I was reading.
GTX280 GPU watercooled

Old 10-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
Optix
Basket Chassis

I had planned on playing around with it in a VM, but for some reason the console won't open in VMWare Server 2 (free download/no longer supported) because it thinks the plugin isn't loaded. Grrr!

What's worse, this puts the brakes on my MCITP studying until I can figure it out or find an alternative.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
DarkStarr
Tech Monkey

lol windows 8 is for tablets and AIOs. There should be a label on the box saying "Not Intended for Desktops".
- Asus Radeon 7970 Ref. (Non Ghz)
Heatkiller 79xx Ni-Bl (Soon) @ 1050/1500
- 64Gb Crucial M4 SSD - 3x Hitachi 1Tb - Corsair TX950W
Azza Genesis 9000B - 2x Samsung SyncMaster S27A550H - Vizio 32" LCD

DarkStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

Microsoft thinks it's for desktops.

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote