Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > Gaming

Gaming Anything gaming-related can be discussed here, for PCs, handhelds and consoles.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
Matt Serrano
E.M.I.

Default So I started playing this game called Warcraft..

World of Warcraft, of course.

To tell the truth, I played for two days in July this year when I had a 10-day trial, but I never got into it. I found a pretty good deal on a forum I visit a few weeks ago, so I took the plunge.

I play a Druid Night Elf on Arthas called Mellias (I'm considering switching), and an Orc Worrior on Destromath called Meser. If anyone happens to play on these servers, feel free to add me to your friends list.

Unfortunately, the game came with two 60-day prepaid game cards, so I might be busy for a while.

Follow me on Twitter | flickr profile | digg profile | last.fm profile

PC - Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit - E6300 @ 3.2GHz - abit IP35 Dark Raider - ASUS 8800GT
Macbook - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo - 2.5GB RAM - OS X 10.5

What I'm up to..

Matt Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-29-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
    madstork91
    The One, The Only...

quit now... google: rappelz

oh and wc3 > WoW

Next time you say Warcraft mean it. Not the pathetic spin off that ruined a good storyline.
    Old 12-29-2006, 12:43 AM   #3
    Matt Serrano
    E.M.I.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madstork91 View Post
    Next time you say Warcraft mean it. Not the pathetic spin off that ruined a good storyline.
    I was never really a fan of the Warcraft series anyway (though I've been meaning to get into Diablo, but I'm too cheap). The story doesn't mean much to me because I've never gotten into it.

PC - Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit - E6300 @ 3.2GHz - abit IP35 Dark Raider - ASUS 8800GT

What I'm up to..

Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
      madstork91
      The One, The Only...

Its a good one ;-p

The diablo series was a good one too... though the story line is loosely written so that it can adapt to any new games features.
      Old 12-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
      Rob Williams
      Editor-in-Chief

As far as MMO's go, WoW is not too bad, but could be way better. Last time I played was in the beta... so I have no clue what it's like now.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
      <Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 12-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #6
      madstork91
      The One, The Only...

IN beta i remember a few of the spells having no animation at all. You call that not too bad?
      Old 12-30-2006, 01:33 PM   #7
      Rob Williams
      Editor-in-Chief

That's an oddity, I don't recall that. WoW is not too bad as a game, it's by far not one of the better MMO's I've played. It's fine for newbies who want to get into the MMO realm, but there are better games out there.

Like Asheron's Call.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
      <Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 12-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
      madstork91
      The One, The Only...

Rappelz is free... and so far im liking it alot. Maybe not as much as i enjoyed lineage 2 at one point, but definately better than WoW
      Old 12-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #9
      leecho7
      Partition Master

Unfortunately for me, WoW is pretty much the only PC game I can play on my not-so-gaming-friendly Mac...
      Cheers to Blizzard, though, for keeping us mac-users in mind.
      Other than that... the only compatible games are... Civilization IV (which my outdated imac can't play) and the Sims and Sims 2.
      The way we saluting flags, wrapping them around our heads when ni**az ain't become American till 9/11 //Feeling like you gotta sneak into heaven//When the reverend looking like a pimp and the pimp look like the reverend...
      People let me paint a picture You know I ain't a christian I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew I'm losing my religion I speak to god directly...
      ~Around my Way - Talib Kweli

You go to church to find you some religion//And all you hear is connivin' and gossip and contradiction and//You try to vote and participate in the government//And the muh'f***in' Democrats is actin' like Republicans
      ~The Beautiful Struggle - Talib Kweli
      leecho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
      Old 12-30-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
      Matt Serrano
      E.M.I.

The only MMOs I've played would be Rognarok Online (when the beta was out) and City of Heroes. I don't remember much from Rognarok, but CoH was a hollow experience. You created a character, fought bad guys, leveled up, and fought more NPCs. There was no currency, PvP, or items. The only thing that kept me going was the theme (flying around a city and using super powers was freaking awesome).

WoW seems to be much more social game. I can't really speak from experience, but I'm have a much better time.

@ madstork91: It was a beta for a reason.

Now that I think of it, I'm actually I'm surprised I like the game so much. I always thought of putting so much time into a game was pointless, but now that I realize I'm having fun while I'm playing, MMOs don't seem as uninteresting.

What I'm up to..

Last edited by Matt Serrano; 12-30-2006 at 10:34 PM.
        Old 12-31-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
        madstork91
        The One, The Only...

try out CoH again... they have alot of new additions since the last time you played. Im serious when i say that Rappelz is a fun game as far as free games go.

I know it was a beta... but blizzard really disapointed me with that.
        Old 12-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
        Jen McPherson
        Resident Artist Nerd

The only two mmo's out there that have managed to make me come back time and time again are Dark Age of Camelot and Asheron's Call. I love AC because it was my first experience in the mmo environment, and it was just a great deal fun exploring such a vast landscape, doing things with friends... it was one of the greatest times I've had playing any online game.

Dark Age is great for pvp, or rvr as most call it. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, that's for certain. Of all pvp systems I found that DAoC had the best. I personally don't like to deal with griefers and bitchy whinny babies when it comes to pvp, and with daoc you can fight people, and not have to hear it because the realms can't communicate with each other. Sure, you can emote one another, which is funny. I really enjoyed the battle grounds, and was by far the most entertaining of any pvp I've done in any game.

Biggest drawbacks to both titles is that they are, unfortunately and inevitably, outdated. But still a load of fun nonetheless.

I've played WoW, and it's not a bad game, it just doesn't have those elements that keep a player coming back... at least not for a person with my expectations. ^^

Visit my art portfolio: http://astral-deva.deviantart.com/
        Jen McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
        Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 PM   #13
        g-sixty
        Obliviot

Quote:
        Originally Posted by madstork91 View Post
        oh and wc3 > WoW
        WC3 kicks ass, I still play it, along with Starcraft

Desktop: Antec P180 case, E6400 Core 2 Duo, ASUS P5N-E motherboard, Seagate SATA hdd, 2GB Cosair XMS2 DDR2, EVGA 7300GT video-card

g-sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
        Old 02-26-2007, 11:33 PM   #14
        madstork91
        The One, The Only...

I'm still supposed to be the lead mapper of Spellcraft... I havent opened it in months.