Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > General > Modding

Modding Show off your handy-work to the world! Work-logs are welcome, as is general modding discussion.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
madmat
Soup Nazi

Default Putting my rad in the TJ09

I'd like to cover the proper way to put a rad in a TJ09. I say proper since the rad will be sealed all the way down the sides and the mounts will be tapped. there are no nuts to try to hold in place and no funky L brackets to fight with.

Here's the bottom of the case roof.

Here's the rad where it'll live.

Wanna put a triple up there? just overhang the opening a bit

The third fan shows how much the rad will overhang in the rear.

I've outlined where the hole ends and how much it'll overhang to the front. To make up for the overhang simply mount the rad 1/4" lower and seal it to the roof with some 3/8" thick foam weatherstripping.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
madmat
Soup Nazi

Ok, to continue...

I'm using 3/4" aluminum angle to hold the rad.

It'll run along the fan holder mounts in the roof.

Cut it to 11-1/4" long and mount to the rad.

Setting it along the roof shows how it'll fit.

There's a bit of a gap, nothing terrible.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
Old 04-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
madmat
Soup Nazi

Again, to continue...

I cut out the bar in the middle. This case will be my main rig and will live with me for a good time.

Again, the mock up from another angle.

I drilled and tapped four holes in the brackets, two per side on the ends.

Mounted! The roof holes are tapped so the rad cant slide side to side.

Longer screws on one side...

Standard HDD screws on the other side.

And done! I could paint the angle black but I won't.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 04-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
NicePants42
Partition Master

It looks great, but I would make a couple suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post

Cut it to 11-1/4" long and mount to the rad.
Are you using anything other than the edges of those tightened screws to attach the aluminum to the rad? I would suggest screwing through the aluminum so that there is no chance for the rad and aluminum to separate. This will block some of the fins on the edges, but a dremel can fix that. You may want to use 1" angle instead of 3/4" to do this (more below). On the other hand, using washers would be good enough for me.

Quote:

There's a bit of a gap, nothing terrible.
But that gap will want to close when you screw into those holes, possibly pulling the aluminum out from under the screws holding it to the rad. Also, unless the holes in the case are tapped, (can't quite tell) the whole radiator+aluminum assembly can shift side to side. Screwing directly through the aluminum (as described above) will completely prevent this, but it will also greatly increase the size of those gaps - but using 1" angle will give you enough to drill through on top and maintain a tight gap on the side.

Quote:

And done! I could paint the angle black but I won't.
You might want to put some black weatherstrip between the aluminum and the top of the case to completely seal the sides and make everything uniformly black from this view.

Last edited by NicePants42; 04-21-2007 at 05:03 PM.
NicePants42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
madmat
Soup Nazi

No, the screws won't pull the angle out from under the rad screws. The holes in the case roof are threaded so that when the screws are run to the mounts on the case roof they're tightened to the case roof. You'd have to strip the holes in the case roof mounts in order to get the screws any tighter.

And yes the rad's being held to the angle by the edge of the screws. That's four screws per side and each screw has locking notches carved into the underside of the flange. It's not going anywhere.

Also, unless you're looking at the case roof from nearly straight on you don't see the silver from up top. The flash makes it look brighter than it really is.

The rad is close enough to the case roof that there's no real need for weatherstripping. With a triple the rad would be below the solid case roof and a further 1/4" down, this would make weatherstripping necessary.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 04-21-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
NicePants42
Partition Master

Quote:
The holes in the case roof are threaded so that when the screws are run to the mounts on the case roof they're tightened to the case roof. You'd have to strip the holes in the case roof mounts in order to get the screws any tighter.
That answers that, then.

Quote:
And yes the rad's being held to the angle by the edge of the screws. That's four screws per side and each screw has locking notches carved into the underside of the flange. It's not going anywhere.
Teeth on the flange is an important thing to mention. I suggest noting it above. I agree that the aluminum is secure, however, being fond of overkill, I'll point out that there are toothed washers available.

Quote:
The rad is close enough to the case roof that there's no real need for weatherstripping. With a triple the rad would be below the solid case roof and a further 1/4" down, this would make weatherstripping necessary.
Agreed. Fond of overkill.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:

Mounted! The roof holes are tapped so the rad cant slide side to side.
I made mention of the holes in the case roof being tapped right here but I guess you missed it...

Yeah, I could use toothed washers but I don't have any to hand and I don't feel like fighting traffic to get to Home Depot (it's over by the mall...terrible place to try going on a Saturday) and since I've literally got 10 pounds of PC screws in a box under my bed I made do with what was handy. The toothed screws won't slip off unless the angle shifts to the side and I'd destroy the PC to make that happen.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 PM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
mounts will be tapped. there are no nuts
Funny, I usually find all three of these things go together great!

Great stuff man, I love it! Could you show us a picture of the finished product (side view of the completed case)?

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
madmat
Soup Nazi

I plan to log the whole build in here as it gets completed. I just did the rad today. Actually the mobo and tray are on a shelf and I've got the res mounted in a HDD bay and the pump is in front of the fan duct in the mid case area. I've gotta unmount the mobo, route wires under it (I got an Ultra X3 recently) from the PSU and start running plumbing.

I doubt it'll be done until May.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #10
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Ahh ok, looking forward man.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 04-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
madmat
Soup Nazi

Ok, well here's the start:

This is the air cooled version, I've already started tearing things down but you get the basic idea.

The new home for the reservoir.

The res will be held in place with the modder's friend: Velcro.

Speaking of the res, here it is.

And there's the pump.

It's also held in with Velcro. I've run some preliminary plumbing from the res to the pump but it's not pictured yet. I'm using a 90 coming from the res, going across under the lower edge of the drive bay cage and another 90 going back to the pump. The space under the front edge of the drive bay cage is big enough to allow two tubes to pass through.

More to come...

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 04-21-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Velcro is great, I need to get some for whenever I take on a project like this. Great stuff so far man.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
NicePants42
Partition Master

What are your plans for fill/bleed/drain, Matt? That res location could make things a little interesting.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Looking great Matt. That's a sexy case.

System:
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | WD 2TB Green x 1 | EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked | Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Fractal Design R3 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 1920x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 1TB Black x 2
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 PM   #15
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicePants42 View Post
What are your plans for fill/bleed/drain, Matt? That res location could make things a little interesting.
It's not that bad... you just lay the case on it's side and fill it. The res and pump are not tied down so they can be moved easily for filling and bleeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSynergy View Post
Looking great Matt. That's a sexy case.
Thanks man, I can't wait to get it finished

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,