Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Overclocking and Cooling

Overclocking and Cooling Looking for overclocking tips? Want to boast about your feats? Discuss that and cooling here.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
leecho7
Partition Master

Default Is water cooling worth it?

I have a decent Fan/Heatsink, one of those Thermaltake Volcanoes (I think.. can't remember). Also have 3 case fans (mid tower case.) My comp stays around 43ish degrees (in celcius) under heavy load. Is that a decent temp for your cpu? My mobo temp runs at about 38ish (in celcius). The reason why I ask, is because a couple of my buddies have those fancy schmancy liquid cooling rigs where theres tubes and a fish tank or whatever.

Is it worth spending the hundreds of bucks or so to get liquid cooling? Or is it only for those who like to over clock?
The way we saluting flags, wrapping them around our heads when ni**az ain't become American till 9/11 //Feeling like you gotta sneak into heaven//When the reverend looking like a pimp and the pimp look like the reverend...
People let me paint a picture You know I ain't a christian I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew I'm losing my religion I speak to god directly...
~Around my Way - Talib Kweli

You go to church to find you some religion//And all you hear is connivin' and gossip and contradiction and//You try to vote and participate in the government//And the muh'f***in' Democrats is actin' like Republicans
~The Beautiful Struggle - Talib Kweli
leecho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Well.. it's definately a plus to overclockers. I have yet to get one myself, but hope to in the near future. It's also for people who want a QUIET system. Since you have three fans, that's a lot of noise, and WC would cut down on that quite a bit.

Combine better overclocking, better looks and quietness.. that's about all Watercooling amounts too.

If you have the extra money to spend, go for it. Especially if you want to overclock your CPU / GPU.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:37 AM   #3
Muddy
E.M.I.

im going to get water cooling because i want my pc extremely silent yet good cooling
PNY 6800 (16 Pipes, 3 Pixel Shaders)
2x 160gb SATA
500 X-Connect (bleh)
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:45 PM   #4
leecho7
Partition Master

My pc is actually pretty silent considering the amount of fans I have in my rig. The reason why is because I got those Vantec Stealths up in there. Pushes a good amount of air, and stays very quiet at the same time.

I used to have this one fan my cousin gave to me. I asked him why he didn't want it anymore and he just said 'Just didn't like it, good fan though, serves its purpose'. So I decided to try it out.

When I turned on my system, the first noise I heard was this very extremely ridiculously loud scream. It was like a blow dryer on max power. I felt the air blowing against my leg though, and boy did it push air. But the sound was just unbearable, you couldn't hear yourself think with that thing on.
The brand of the fan is Vantec, the type is Tornado. Man Vantec Tornados, they push ungodly amounts of air, but at the same time make ungodly amounts of noise.
The way we saluting flags, wrapping them around our heads when ni**az ain't become American till 9/11 //Feeling like you gotta sneak into heaven//When the reverend looking like a pimp and the pimp look like the reverend...
People let me paint a picture You know I ain't a christian I ain't a muslim, ain't a jew I'm losing my religion I speak to god directly...
~Around my Way - Talib Kweli

You go to church to find you some religion//And all you hear is connivin' and gossip and contradiction and//You try to vote and participate in the government//And the muh'f***in' Democrats is actin' like Republicans
~The Beautiful Struggle - Talib Kweli
leecho7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:20 AM   #5
reptilezs
Obliviot

i ran a thermaltake aquarious 2 a year or so back. it was a decent system that is quiet. the performance was comparable to air cooling but less noise. if you move up to higher quality units, youll get better performance for simaler noise. if you dont want watercooling just change the fans to low rpm fans.
reptilezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #6
dukeman
Obliviot

it is well worth it if you want good temps and silent computer

here is my antec p160 with dangerden heatercore.

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?...g=P1010173.JPG

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?...g=P1010170.JPG
dukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
dukeman
Obliviot

found somemore pics

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?...40P1010169.JPG

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?...g=P1010175.JPG

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?...g=P1010171.JPG
PNY Gforce 6800gt
Enermax NoiseTaker EG475P-VE SFMA
Swiftech MC6000-64, MCW50 gpu, DD MPC350, Dangerden Heatercore with shroud.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Nice set up man.

As a WC noob.. can I ask what that black stuff is in the bottom of your tower?

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #9
dukeman
Obliviot

and finally my oc with super pi

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?...=34_sec_pi.JPG

I am working on getting that down to 32 seconds.
PNY Gforce 6800gt
Old 03-30-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
dukeman
Obliviot

in this photo you can see what it is. it is pax. mate sound absorping pads. they really do make a difference and it is only $15 a box on crazypc.com. it adds some weight to the panels and is designed to absorb high freq sound from fans

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?...g=P1010173.JPG
PNY Gforce 6800gt
Old 03-30-2005, 10:31 PM   #11
dukeman
Obliviot

here is a pic of it without stuff in the case

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?...g=P1010161.JPG
PNY Gforce 6800gt
Old 06-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #12
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecho7
The brand of the fan is Vantec, the type is Tornado. Man Vantec Tornados, they push ungodly amounts of air, but at the same time make ungodly amounts of noise.
I had one of those a friend of mine gave to me and I ended up giving it to another friend of mine...it wasn't the noise, I had it hooked to a rheobus so I could turn it down, it was the fact that it was like the siren song of old, every time I was around it it kept speaking to me "Come, stick your finger in my blades..." I just had to get rid of it.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 12:22 AM   #13
Bobbythecat
E.M.I.

I have an Acetec Waterchill. Yeah, it's nice and quiet. The only sound I hear are those damn system fan and VGA fan. I had switched from a Socket 754 AGP DFI board to a eVGA Sli board, but the newer board is impossible to watercool, with the VGA blocking the system fan. So I get really good cooling for my CPU, but the system fan gets to make some noise. I could get a waterblock for the VGA, but usually it remains quiet, as whatever that I run isn't too demanding for it yet. Definately, go for watercooling if you'd like a silent PC. But don't forget a silent PSU as well. That thing could have up to 3 fans, and oh boy do they make noise! There are WC-kits out there that's relatively cheap for the performance they give. If you have the dough to buy a XP-120 or XP-90 from Thermalright, then I might reach a little more for the watercooling kit. (I have both WC and a XP-90 w/ Panaflo fan. Yeah, both pretty damn good cooling solutions, but the former is silent.)
Attorney #1: I stepped on a baby bird this morning on the way into the courthouse.
Attorney #2: The jokes are right. We don't have souls.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
~ Mark Twain. Many may say something like it, but few act upon it. Woe unto them.
Bobbythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:32 PM   #14
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I can't believe you don't have a waterblock for your GPU! I'm currently working on a review for the Titan Robela water case, and am impressed so far. With the stock cooler, my load temp was 67ºC, but now with WC'ing it's 53ºC.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:33 AM   #15
Bobbythecat
E.M.I.

The thing is, my GPU, if reported correctly, doesn't get much hot. So I decided not to get it. Yeah..if it does get hot, I'd have it already. My main thing is the 40mm fan that screeching inside my system....that little crybaby, makin some noise so long as my PC is on.
Attorney #1: I stepped on a baby bird this morning on the way into the courthouse.
Attorney #2: The jokes are right. We don't have souls.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
~ Mark Twain. Many may say something like it, but few act upon it. Woe unto them.
Bobbythecat is offline   Reply With Quote