Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:12 AM   #16
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I would get the non-USB version. Generally, USB ones sound good, but can sometimes run into problems. I have heard from fellow CS: Source players that theirs have 'kicked' out from time to time during gameplay.

I have never had that happen, and I have used USB before. There is really no sound difference really been either. You may as well get whichever you prefer. If you are planning to plug these into your speakers, then it may be just as easy to get the USB version. That way you won't have a long ass cord all over your desk.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:39 PM   #17
Unregistered
Guest Poster

earlier you mentioned that they do not have surround sound (or the altecs do)

seems like the USB headphones give you 7.1 surround sound?
Old 05-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #18
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I guess so, I really have no idea since I've never used them. If that was the case, I would go for the USB. I can't vouch for the quality of the surround sound though.

In the pictures for the USB, especially in the 'in the box' section, it doesn't once show the USB connector. Not really sure what that 'soundcard' is.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 05-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #19
Unregistered
Guest Poster

the USB soundcard....would it be just an attachment to the headphones? (i once owned a logitech USB headset and i think it had it's own soundcard?)

i'm really sorry to keep bothering you, but i'm really not knowledgeable about this kind of stuff and want to spend my money wisely.

thanks a billion
Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 PM   #20
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
the USB soundcard....would it be just an attachment to the headphones? (i once owned a logitech USB headset and i think it had it's own soundcard?)

i'm really sorry to keep bothering you, but i'm really not knowledgeable about this kind of stuff and want to spend my money wisely.

thanks a billion
im a bit uva noob in this too.

what is the diff?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:21 PM   #21
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

No worries guys, we all love helping people around here

The soundcard basically plugs into your USB port, and then your headset plugs into it. It's basically an external soundcard.. perfect if you don't have a spare PCI slot, or want a good soundcard for a laptop.

It actually looks like a quality product, although I have yet to try one personally. The ability to have 7.1 sound from a USB card sounds wicked to me. I think I like the fact that you can plug your microphone into it even, instead of running it to the back of your PC.

Generally speaking though.. if you have a 7.1 soundcard in your PC, and it's not an on-board one, you probably won't need this soundcard. The headphones should sound just as good on a decent 7.1 soundcard as with the external one they sell.

Personally, I'd only buy that USB soundcard if you don't have a soundcard in your PC, or your only sound card is already being taken up by speakers.

Tags
None