Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > Gaming

Gaming Anything gaming-related can be discussed here, for PCs, handhelds and consoles.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default PSP-3000 Now Available Across North America

From our front-page news:
The third revision PSP, coined "PSP Brite" by many, is now available all across North America. Sony doesn't seem too interested in selling the console apart from everything else though, as the only way to currently purchase it is by picking up a $199.99 bundle, but I don't think there will be too many complaints about that (unless you already own a PSP and just want an upgrade).

The Ratchet and Clank pack includes R&C: Size Matters, National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets on UMD, a 1GB Memory Stick PRO Duo card, along with a voucher to download Echochrome on the PSN for free. The system also comes in a single color, mystic silver, with "special" editions en route I'm sure, if the previous generations were anything to go by. The only known follow-up is another $199.99 offering that includes a 4GB memory card in place of the 1GB, and a voucher for Everyday Shooter... which is arguably a much less stellar bundle.

Compared to the previous models, the PSP-3000 includes an improved LCD screen with increased color range and also five times the color ratio, and as you'd expect, this will hit battery-life, although apparently not by too much. In addition, it also includes an integrated microphone, minor button changes and the ability to output via composite connection to a TV or monitor.

For new and old PSP users alike, you can now take advantage of the 5.0 firmware which opens up support for the PS Store, removing the need for a PS3 or PC to download a game. You can see a full demo for the new service at the link below.

We wanted to give you a live demo of the PSP’s direct access to PlayStation Store, which will be coming with the 5.00 firmware update. Now whenever your PSP is connected to the Internet over WiFi, you’ll be able to download and enjoy the latest games, demos and trailers on the go without needing to sync up to your PS3 or PC. Here’s a brief walk-through of what you’ll experience.

Source: Playstation Blog, Via: PSP Fanboy
I gave the new PS store a quick go... and I have to say, it works quite well. I downloaded a demo no problem, and it was fast to download and install. So far I'm impressed. It's too bad I don't use the PSP that often though...

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Looks great, but there seems to be a problem with the new screen, the scan lines have come out to be more visible as a result of improving response time to alleviate the afterimages

I almost got one

Merlin
GTX280 GPU watercooled
Synology NAS 207 Network Server with 2 Hitachi Terabite drives
LG NAS N2R1 with 2 ea 2 tb drives
LINKSYS PLK300 Powerline Network Kit

Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I've heard the same thing also... and that would drive me nuts. I'm pleased with my PSP-2000... it works well.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote