Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > General > Off Topic

Off Topic All non-tech chat belongs here.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Suunsu
Obliviot

Default Zalman RESERATOR 1 V2 parts needed

I need to replace all the parts for my Zalman Reserator1 v2, except for the main Reseratitr1 central tower. I need, tubing, all fittings, flow indicator. Also, a recommendation for a very food cooling fluid - my i7 is running at 91c. Anything you do to help would be great. What do I need to do to order the parts? If anyone can help I'd be grateful.
Suunsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #2
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Just use distilled water and a few drops of any algaecide, that usually yields the best results. You'd probably have good luck finding the parts off ebay from used sets since those have been on the market for a few years.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
Just use distilled water and a few drops of any algaecide, that usually yields the best results. You'd probably have good luck finding the parts off ebay from used sets since those have been on the market for a few years.
Um, no. The Reserator V2 has an aluminum body and the CPU block is copper plated with gold. Using just distilled water is a sure fire way to corrode the reserator. You'll have to use a 50/50 mix of water and a good quality ethylene glycol antifreeze. As to tubing, just get some 8mm I.D tubing, that's what it uses. Forget the flow indicator, the pump is weak enough as it is, don't give it more back pressure to overcome.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
THUMPer
Coastermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmat View Post
Um, no. The Reserator V2 has an aluminum body and the CPU block is copper plated with gold. Using just distilled water is a sure fire way to corrode the reserator. You'll have to use a 50/50 mix of water and a good quality ethylene glycol antifreeze. As to tubing, just get some 8mm I.D tubing, that's what it uses. Forget the flow indicator, the pump is weak enough as it is, don't give it more back pressure to overcome.

nice
THUMPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
It the Zalman was careless enough to mix gold and aluminum then hell yes, don't use plain distilled water like I recommended. Aluminum and gold are on opposite ends of the galvanic reaction table and should corrode easily. The fewer the additives the better the water performance in the loop, therefore the best liquid tends to be distilled water. Ethylene glycol anti-freeze will only inhibit but not stop the corrosion process.
ASUS Xonar DX

Old 05-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
madmat
Soup Nazi

Yeah, I did a review of that same setup here a while back. The CPU block is a lexan top with the gold plated copper base while the GPU block is aluminum. I still haven't figured out why on earth they didn't just go with an aluminum CPU block.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suunsu View Post
I need to replace all the parts for my Zalman Reserator1 v2, except for the main Reseratitr1 central tower. I need, tubing, all fittings, flow indicator. Also, a recommendation for a very food cooling fluid - my i7 is running at 91c. Anything you do to help would be great. What do I need to do to order the parts? If anyone can help I'd be grateful.

First step... what's up with your current cooling that it gets that hot?

Are the chips and sincks mating properly?
Are you using a good quality heat sink grease?
Are the fans clean and running?
Is anything defeating ariflow in your case?
Are your power supply voltages within tolerance?

It seems likely you have problems beyond the norm here... If you don't deal with thiem first the best water cooling setup on the planet isn't going to help you.
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
Yeah, I did a review of that same setup here a while back. The CPU block is a lexan top with the gold plated copper base while the GPU block is aluminum. I still haven't figured out why on earth they didn't just go with an aluminum CPU block.
It's Zalman, they prefer flash in their products. They probably preferred it to look good more than they were concerned about mixing the metals.
ASUS Xonar DX