Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Any tech topic that can't be fit into another category belongs here.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Maja
Obliviot

Default Mouse problems

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post but heres my problem:

I have a microsoft optical wireless mouse 3000. When i plug the usb stick into the laptop the green light will flash for a moment then go steady.... after about 2-3 minutes it will go off and i get noise and a pop up that says my computer isn't recognizing it. then after about 5 minutes it will work again. then it will continue to go back in forth with this problem.
i have changed the battery, i have moved the stick to different ports and i get the same thing over and over.
what is going on?
Maja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja View Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum to post but heres my problem:

I have a microsoft optical wireless mouse 3000. When i plug the usb stick into the laptop the green light will flash for a moment then go steady.... after about 2-3 minutes it will go off and i get noise and a pop up that says my computer isn't recognizing it. then after about 5 minutes it will work again. then it will continue to go back in forth with this problem.
i have changed the battery, i have moved the stick to different ports and i get the same thing over and over.
what is going on?
Can you return it?

There are a couple of things...

1) It might be dirt on the USB connector.
Try dipping the connector (not the whole dongle) in rubbing alcohol and then inserting it into your USB port several times, while it's still dripping wet. This should clean the contacts for you. (Contrary to common belief USB connectors are quite sensitive to dirt)

2) It could be the mouse isn't making connection with the dongle.
According to several reviews the range of this thing is only 2 or 3 feet ... barely enough to reach the far side of a laptop! Does it work normally within, say, 6"? If so it's likely there are range issues. Make sure the dongle and mouse are on the same side of the computer and well within 2 feet of each other.

3) This is a low level Radio Frequency device but it's not bluetooth.
If you are operating near stronger transmitters such as commercial radio, CB or Amateur Rado equipment you may be getting Interfernece from the stronger signals in the area. (Quite laughably some of the earlier RF mice and keyboards were planted straight on CB channel 14 (27.125mhz) because they could use that frequency without licensing.)

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news... I have to suggest you look into a more reliable product such as the M555B from Logitech. This is a blue tooth device which means 1 bluetooth dongle can support your mouse an earpiece and even an external keyboard with ease. And, as a bonus Bluetooth has it's own reserved frequency band so you will be far less likely to get interference.

"An unexamined life is not worth living" ... Socrates
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I have rather limited experience with notebook mice, but of the experience I do have, I can say that Microsoft's offerings can be a pain to deal with. I had a mouse similar to the Optical Mouse 3000 (Mobile Memory Mouse 8000), and while it would work fine some of the time, I had to fight with it the rest of the time. Like your experience, my mouse would light up fine, and sometimes die off after a few minutes. Usually turning the mouse on and off fixed the issue, but sometimes it was just easier to grab another mouse.

Like Tango said, it could be that the USB connector is dirty, but if the mouse is rather new, I'd see about returning it for a Logitech mouse. A friend of mine owns the same mouse you do, and it hasn't caused her any issues that I'm aware of, but I've had better luck with Logitech's offerings, notebook or desktop.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Like Tango said, it could be that the USB connector is dirty, but if the mouse is rather new, I'd see about returning it for a Logitech mouse. A friend of mine owns the same mouse you do, and it hasn't caused her any issues that I'm aware of, but I've had better luck with Logitech's offerings, notebook or desktop.
Rob... don't forget that even if the USB plug is brand new and completely clean... that doesn't mean an unused jack in the computer isn't loaded with crud... It's real easy to forget the other half of the problem.

Can you ask your friend to do a little experiment for us?
Start with the mouse and dongle right together and move them slowly apart and see at what distance they lose contact... Then move it back just a little bit and see what the behavior is when it's right on the edge of it's range... might provide some clues for the OP.

Last edited by 2Tired2Tango; 11-08-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango
Rob... don't forget that even if the USB plug is brand new and completely clean... that doesn't mean an unused jack in the computer isn't loaded with crud... It's real easy to forget the other half of the problem.
Of course, but if you plug in another mouse (wired or wireless) and it works fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango
Can you ask your friend to do a little experiment for us?
Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure if she still owns the mouse, or got rid of it. I just built her a new PC last week and she upgraded everything, including her peripherals, and I believe she gave the mouse with her old PC she sold.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 11-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Psi*
Tech Monkey

I can vouch that Logitech wireless mice have pretty decent range. I used to have an office (in my home) that had 2 different computers and each with it's own Logitech mouse. Yes, they really do have separate channels! These computers were several feet apart ... well my smart a$$ 19 y/o daughter, at the time, swapped the mice.

Do I need to elaborate on the ensuing mayhem?? Yes, the mice still connected ...

I have yet to get the proper revenge. Yes, I am a vengeful father. There will be a day.

Sorry to get so far off topic, but it does sort of comment to range.
Swiftech Apogee XT block, Indigo Extreme TIM
Swiftech MCR220-QP Radiator, Eheim 1040 pump, 1/2" ID Tubing
Psi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi* View Post
I have yet to get the proper revenge. Yes, I am a vengeful father. There will be a day.
Best computer revenge I've ever seen? A short lenght of bare wire around the pins of the reset switch...

Old 11-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango View Post
Best computer revenge I've ever seen? A short lenght of bare wire around the pins of the reset switch...
Haha, you're crafty. Don't act like that wasn't you