Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > General Software

General Software Apple, Linux, Windows, alternative OS and software application chat here.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Google Offers Bounties for Finding Chrome Bugs

As I have mentioned many times in our news section in the past, I'm a big fan of open-sourced software and use it where able. Because I use Linux as my primary operating system, most of the software I use is free and open-sourced, but even for Windows, a lot of what I use there is as well. There are many reasons I like open-sourced software, but if I had to choose just one, it's that I simply like the "open" nature of software.

You can read the rest of our news post here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Interesting blurb and not a bad idea....

Although I would offer counterpoint to the "Open Source" concept by pointing out that "branches" are often problematic as they lead to a proliferation of "nearly alike" copies of the software that each seem to carry their own set of issues. I think I see this from the old saw of "Too many cooks spoil the broth"... and I've seen several very good projects go that way over the years. One example was the old Mozilla browser which was just a disaster of bugs, confising features and poor support until Netscape picked it up and cleaned up the code.

I don't actually dislike Open Source... but for my own projects I tend to work with "Open Protocal" where I will release communications information, disk file formats etc, but keep the software internals under wraps. I find this works wonderfully as some of the suggestions I get are beyond helpful and often find their way into my next generation of code.

Good for Google... Good idea, lets hope Chrome gets better for it.

"An unexamined life is not worth living" ... Socrates
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango
I don't actually dislike Open Source... but for my own projects I tend to work with "Open Protocal" where I will release communications information, disk file formats etc, but keep the software internals under wraps.
I can understand that way of doing things completely, especially if you don't particularly want other people to just take the code and re-brand it. It allows you to keep the base as you like it, but allow them to do whatever else they want with it. There are a lot of projects out there that do something similar.

I agree about the software forks as well. Most of the time, they die off rather fast... I can't personally think of a software fork that's successful today, although I'm sure there are some. I'm not sure about in Windows, but in the Linux world, forks/branches seem to be fairly common.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
I agree about the software forks as well. Most of the time, they die off rather fast... I can't personally think of a software fork that's successful today, although I'm sure there are some. I'm not sure about in Windows, but in the Linux world, forks/branches seem to be fairly common.
Media Player Classic Home Cinema started out as a fork from Gabest's original MPC project... They are code-alike to the point where both share common bugs. But the Home Cinema version won out because that crew compiled all the codecs into the executable making for a much simpler installation. It's actually a case where the fork killed the original project... which is also not good.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Pidgin is a fork of GAIM, and left gaim behind, can't even remember why they split.
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharic-Nar View Post
Pidgin is a fork of GAIM, and left gaim behind, can't even remember why they split.
I don't know in this particular case... but offten the "fork" comes from the two devolpers getting into a "fork you" kind of disagreement....

Really it's as often personality as progress.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
I can understand that way of doing things completely, especially if you don't particularly want other people to just take the code and re-brand it. It allows you to keep the base as you like it, but allow them to do whatever else they want with it. There are a lot of projects out there that do something similar.

Well, if we take my Remote Media project as an example... (and I'm betting you knew I would )...

I'm putting something like 80% of my effort into getting the LAN based remote control server running smooth as silk. The other bits --the remote control itself and the share browser-- are mostly example apps to show what can be done. Once it's in late Beta and I am confident it's going to work as expected, I will release the communications sequences and encourage other developers to begin their own projects... In particular I would like to see PDA, Smartphone and Blackberry versions of the Browser and Remote Control... This I view as an essential step in the success of the project.

Of course throughout this I will continue devloping the server, incorporating suggestions and ideas as I deem appropriate. Odd as it may seem, I actually like it when people complain (in a constructive way) about my software... it helps me make it better.

BUT... nobody will ever see my source code.
It was my idea. I wrote it. I own it. It's mine. So there

Last edited by 2Tired2Tango; 02-02-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharic-Nar View Post
As I recall it wasn't a fork, but a major re-launch of the original GAIM code by the original dev team. This was because of AOL's legal battle over trademarks against "GAIM", which was settled by completely renaming the program and files to Pidgin.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
As I recall it wasn't a fork, but a major re-launch of the original GAIM code by the original dev team. This was because of AOL's legal battle over trademarks against "GAIM", which was settled by completely renaming the program and files to Pidgin.
Yup, your right, think i got some wires crossed reading up on it a couple years back with regard to some speculation over the name change or something. Forum posts and announcements sometimes blend together.... my mistake.
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote