Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Old 02-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Slight site downtime ahead...

Hi all:

A couple of weeks ago, our hosting company (Neosurge) was acquired by a larger one (Steadfast), and as a result, our servers have to be moved. Fortunately, Steadfast owns space in the same datacenter, so it's not as though we have to move things across the city or country. The big issue is that we have to change IP addresses, which might result in up to 24 hours of downtime for some people.

Because we run our own domain name servers (DNS), the IP addresses of those also change, and it's those that would cause the issue. Until the new IP addresses settle (propagate), the site might appear down to some visitors. The good thing is that this entire process tends to go a lot faster today than it did years ago, so at most some people may only be locked out of the site while the server is on the move. This could depend on your ISP as well though.

This change will happen on Sunday afternoon (11:00AM CST), so I'm hoping that the site will be up in the mid-afternoon at the latest for most people.

Just a heads-up!

Rob

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Hi all:

As I'm sure many of you noticed, our site was down for about 8 hours on Sunday, and what I can say now is that it's no fun at all working on servers remotely for 8 hours ;-)

I am quite sure everything is working as it should, but if you stumble on anything that seems a bit odd, or you find the performance of the site has been degraded, please don't hesitate to raise the issue.

Thanks!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
I am quite sure everything is working as it should, but if you stumble on anything that seems a bit odd, or you find the performance of the site has been degraded, please don't hesitate to raise the issue.
Thanks!
Well, now that you mention it... there is that thread about turtle bacon burgers...

Seriously thought... all seems well from the Niagara Region.

"An unexamined life is not worth living" ... Socrates
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote