Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Video Cards and Displays

Video Cards and Displays AMD, NVIDIA graphics card talk, as well as monitor/HDTV discussion.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
b1lk1
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
i'm gonna buy one o these babies!! does that make me a fanboy?!?
Only if you are buying it just because it is an Nvidia card and you would never buy an ATI card.

I for one am an ATI fanboy and wouldn't run anything from team green unless it was given to me. My desktop bleeds red while my laptop bleeds green. I had no real choice in the laptop GPU but in my desktop it would be a cold day in you-know-where before I greened it up.
Patriot PC2-6400 2X2GB LL
2 X BFG 8800GTX in SLI
Enermax Revolution 620W PSU
ASUS 24X DVD/Seagate 250GB SATA 2/THermaltake A90/Windows 7 Ultimate 64
b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #17
Relayer
E.M.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I still stand by my statement that no matter what, these cards will sell like hotcakes. We are also still dealing with pure speculation on all counts. If the rumors are ALL true it still won't make even the smallest dent in their armor. The fanboy army (we all belong to one, lol) will keep them going strong.

No doubt in my mind either that they're going to sell everyone they have, immediately.
Relayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #18
DaddyRabbit
Obliviot

Yes these will sell. However, when they start becoming available in any numbers AMD will do a "price adjustment" on the 5xxx series cards that Nvidia won't be able to keep up with (this did happen just recently right?). AMD has already saturated all price points of the market with reasonably priced DX11 parts and IMHO are just waiting for Fermi to become available before they drop prices. That way they can eke out as much $$ as possible.

I'm only a fan boy of performance versus price versus features. I went from red to green with the 8xxx series and back to red with the 4xxx and now the 5870. If Nvidia releases a product line that has the features and performance at a price point that doesn't choke me (the 5870 was hard to swallow) then I will gladly have green in my PC again, I just don't think Fermi is going to do it.
DaddyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #19
b1lk1
Tech Monkey

If the GTX480 is under $600 then AMD will price adjust where needed. If not then AMD will not do it. In fact, unless it is under $450, I doubt we'll see any real pricing movements on AMD's part.
2 X BFG 8800GTX in SLI
Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #20
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Only if you are buying it just because it is an Nvidia card and you would never buy an ATI card.

I for one am an ATI fanboy and wouldn't run anything from team green unless it was given to me. My desktop bleeds red while my laptop bleeds green. I had no real choice in the laptop GPU but in my desktop it would be a cold day in you-know-where before I greened it up.
hmm, well i am green man then! i won't buy ATI !! lolZ!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I don't understand the fanboy mentality here. It's kind of foolish when you'd absolutely refuse to go with either an ATI or NVIDIA card simply because of the name, even if the product happens to be far better. I think at this point it's almost a sickness. I used to prefer NVIDIA cards, but then I moved over to ATI's, because they were better. If NVIDIA comes back and takes the crown, I'll have no problem moving back over to being a fan of that team. It makes no sense to maim yourself just for the sake of patronage to some company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer
No doubt in my mind either that they're going to sell everyone they have, immediately.
That's not going to be hard if supplies are as low as they're rumored to be ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1
If the GTX480 is under $600 then AMD will price adjust where needed. If not then AMD will not do it. In fact, unless it is under $450, I doubt we'll see any real pricing movements on AMD's part.
I agree... there would just be no reason to. At the end of the day, it looks like ATI's cards are going to be the better value. But of course nothing's official until NVIDIA finally releases the pricing.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #22
b1lk1
Tech Monkey

The strangest part of video card fanboyism is that it is the most prevalent amongst all PC peripherals. No other component has such a love hate following. I know my ATI-ism is irrational and makes no sense. I have purposely bought lesser performing cards plenty of times in my life and even I wonder what the hell am I thinking when I do it.
2 X BFG 8800GTX in SLI
Old 03-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #23
crowTrobot
E.M.I.

haha i know what you mean. It's probably because there's only two to choose from.

As for motherboards. I can't even decide which I am a fan of. I like Gigabyte boards, great price, great performance but I don't like the look and the colors (petty I know). I like Asus boards' performance, sometimes the price is decent, and they look frackin cool. EVGA is pretty solid but more expensive usually and only really offer overclockibility the higher you go up in price range. I'd like to see MSI get up there, they finally have decent looking boards but a lot of people still don't like them. They are pretty good price/performance wise right now with their p55 and am3 lines although i don't like any of their x58 boards.
crowTrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #24
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
The strangest part of video card fanboyism is that it is the most prevalent amongst all PC peripherals. No other component has such a love hate following.
Why not? Gamers are a crazy bunch, and the GPU is the most important part of a gaming computer, even more so than the processor.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #25
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
I don't understand the fanboy mentality here. It's kind of foolish when you'd absolutely refuse to go with either an ATI or NVIDIA card simply because of the name, even if the product happens to be far better. I think at this point it's almost a sickness. I used to prefer NVIDIA cards, but then I moved over to ATI's, because they were better. If NVIDIA comes back and takes the crown, I'll have no problem moving back over to being a fan of that team. It makes no sense to maim yourself just for the sake of patronage to some company.
Aaye that be true!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #26
Relayer
E.M.I.

Some people actually harbor pretty strong hatred for the opposing brand. As of late, typically you can get about the same performance for a bit less money from ATI. It's looking like this round the difference might be a bit more exaggerated though. At least in pricing.

The leaked benches floating around are showing far less difference in performance than was originally claimed by Nvidia. Small enough that the overclocking ability of Cypress might be able to make up the stagger. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the higher binned 5870 don't match the GTX-480. If the clock figures are correct, 625Mhz, then I don't hold out much hope for the Nvidia cards being able to be overclocked out of it. I mean, let's face it, if Nvidia had processors that could make higher clocks consistently than the lowered stock clocks, they probably would have released the cards before now.
Relayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #27
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relayer View Post
The leaked benches floating around are showing far less difference in performance than was originally claimed by Nvidia. Small enough that the overclocking ability of Cypress might be able to make up the stagger.
That's kind of worrying, especially if the rumors of hot chips prove true, because even then, the user couldn't overclock their NVIDIA card to improve things even further.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #28
crowTrobot
E.M.I.

How can you hate Fermi? Check out that box art!
http://www.expreview.com/9820.html

lol it looks like "Fame" the musical.
That galaxy card looks pretty cool though, although a bit plastic looking cover.
crowTrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #29
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowTrobot View Post
How can you hate Fermi? Check out that box art!
http://www.expreview.com/9820.html

lol it looks like "Fame" the musical.
That galaxy card looks pretty cool though, although a bit plastic looking cover.
OMG, I've been struck speechless.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #30
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

9 days to go PPL!!!