Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Processors

Processors Can't decide about which CPU to purchase? Want to discuss CPU architecture? Your place is here.

Old 03-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
phonywish
Obliviot

Default How much faster are current day games / apps with a dual core?

I wanted to know how much faster current day games and applications with a dual core. Is it logical to get a dual core now. A lot of immediate benefits? Or is it pretty much unsupported?
phonywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
anibalX
Obliviot

I think at this time not.. but in a short future maybe yes

anibalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Jakal
Tech Monkey

Dual core is very much a logical choice these days. You get twice the operating power out of a single chip. For instance, you can run a game one one core and at the same time run your antivirus or any other program on the second core. Speed is relevant to the core. You won't slow down your half-life 2 game by running mulitple processes because it gets the full processing power of one core. While, the other processes are handled by the second core. If you're thinking about getting an X2 or Dual Core Opty, it's a wise choice.
Intel C2Quad Q9400 @3.6Ghz | Asus PM5Q Deluxe | OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 8GB | XFX Black Edition 260/216| knobs are great for twisting, turning, squeezing and pulling... especially your own..... that's how doors open | Chaos Havok: grrrr im lagging me | <@Deathspawner> I wish I was in Windows :-/
Jakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
Cool Barn
Obliviot

I don't run a dual-core CPU myself, but the thing I like is that they make your computing experience smoother. As Jakal said games themselves aren't fully optimised for dual-core just yet, but when you factor in that your antivirus and other background services can run on one core and your game on the other then that is going to make it run a little faster. Not to mention that if you multitask at all, the programs are going to run super-smoothly as if they were running by themselves.

So dual-core is worth going for right at this minute because of reasons such as those; when you factor in that more and more applications are going to be optimised to take advantage of it in the future then it is a no-brainer going for a dual-core CPU if you are buying a new computer.
Cool Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #5
living_joke
Obliviot

Would not get dual core at this point. Instead would wait until they iron out all the bugs first.
living_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_joke
Would not get dual core at this point. Instead would wait until they iron out all the bugs first.
The bugs are all in software, if you're waiting for M$ to iron out all the bugs with Windows you might as well pack a lunch because it's going to be a long, long, long wait.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:20 PM   #7
Worldstar
Obliviot

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonywish
I wanted to know how much faster current day games and applications with a dual core. Is it logical to get a dual core now. A lot of immediate benefits? Or is it pretty much unsupported?
You won't notice any big increases in speed in any current games or applications. After the software developers begin adding in support for the dual cores is when your see the vast improvements in speed and performance.
Worldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by living_joke
I wouldn't wait at all.. the bugs are not in the processors but the software. I love my Dual Core rig only because I can do two things at once without risking performance loss. You can literally stress the hell out of one core and play a game at the same time. It's great.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
anibalX
Obliviot

I prefer 1 app using the 2 cores working in parallel than 1 app per core

anibalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Jakal
Tech Monkey

That's not as efficeint as it sounds. If you were to run the data parallel you'd have to split the processes. Then the data would have to be able to coincide with each other while it's being processed. Then put back together to form the single thread. With processing speeds these days, leaving one core to handle the majority of work, and the other to handle the smaller loads is probably the best way.
Intel C2Quad Q9400 @3.6Ghz | Asus PM5Q Deluxe | OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 8GB | XFX Black Edition 260/216| knobs are great for twisting, turning, squeezing and pulling... especially your own..... that's how doors open | Chaos Havok: grrrr im lagging me | <@Deathspawner> I wish I was in Windows :-/
Jakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
living_joke
Obliviot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams
I wouldn't wait at all.. the bugs are not in the processors but the software.
But if there are bugs in the software, then I would wait for them to iron those bugs out first. I would wait atleast 1 year. There will be a lot more software that better supports dual core by that time.
living_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:15 PM   #12
discharge
Obliviot

Should make a decision based on price. Dual cores are relatively new in the marketplace. Prices will be going down on dual cores as competition increases between AMD and Intel on dual core processors. If you buy a dual core processor too soon, you may spend too much, while a little later the price may make a big drop.
discharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:15 AM   #13
werty316
Partition Master

Nothing really right now but games and apps in the future should but then again PCI-E is out and takes advantage of the bandwidth either so who knows.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #14
xstatic
Obliviot

Are not some games slowed down within the programming to avoid stuff moving across the screen too fast? A dual core will not make a difference in a game that is already being slowed down on current processors.
xstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #15
PUTALE
E.M.I.

yeah, some games do have slightly performance hits with dual core. The problem is current games are not fully designed to take the full advantage of the dual core. A lot of them just spread the demand over 2 core but not taking the full dual core's power. I think next gen's cpu will be mroe dual core friendly as it seems like dual core is the future.
PUTALE is offline   Reply With Quote