Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Overclocking and Cooling

Overclocking and Cooling Looking for overclocking tips? Want to boast about your feats? Discuss that and cooling here.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default The Curse of the 100C CPU

I'm not sure how I got this curse, but it feels like no matter what kind of preemptive action I take, I inevitably hit 100C on the CPU I'm using at some point. To help prevent this sort of thing from happening, I upgraded to a Corsair 800D chassis and H60 CPU cooler a couple of months ago, up from an Intel stock cooler (the large one) and CM Storm Sniper. Yet, I managed to accomplish the 100C feat even still.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #2
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

Damn! Dusts a killer! I recently bought an electric blower so i will be cleaning up my PC asap!!
Thanx for the heads up mate, never underestimate the destructive power of The Dust!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
Optix
Basket Chassis

Bill's prior testing with the different fan configurations showed nearly no difference so I run all of my liquid cooling setups with the fan(s) pushing air out of the system instead of pulling it in. This includes our case testing system although when testing Corsair coolers in our other test system I run them as the manual suggests.

I can understand why Corsair says to run it the other way around seeing how cool air from outside will cool better than air that has already been heated internally but for the sake of 1 or 2 degrees I'll go with a clean system.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
Bill's prior testing with the different fan configurations showed nearly no difference so I run all of my liquid cooling setups with the fan(s) pushing air out of the system instead of pulling it in. This includes our case testing system although when testing Corsair coolers in our other test system I run them as the manual suggests.
Doh, I forgot all about that. If I get time later I'll turn the fan back around. In the configuration it is in, I'll just end up getting the same problem sooner than later.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
marfig
No ROM battery

Getting another fan to act as intake close to the liquid exhaust fan, could eliminate any loss (if you experience any) of moving the liquid fan to outtake. Most of the air being pushed in would immediately be sucked out.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Kayden
Techgage Staff

Go with a setup like mine and you will never hit 100c again (c:

I max out below 60c and that's with 2 other 580's on the same radiator fan system, even when my room is at 95f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday View Post
Damn! Dusts a killer! I recently bought an electric blower so i will be cleaning up my PC asap!!
Thanx for the heads up mate, never underestimate the destructive power of The Dust!
I blow out my machine at least every 2 months, I try to do it every month but sometimes I forget. You know those pics of people computers covered in dust? Yeah happened one to many times I was called out to fix a restart issue when I had my own Business in the 90's for fixing and maintaining them, had one catch fire one time. That's why I own a air compressor, much cheaper then can's of air in the long run. It is used for other things but that's the main use for it.
Koolance PC4-1036BK Liquid Cooled Aluminum Full Tower Case (Upgraded to displace 1320watt of heat) - Koolance 360 ver 1.2 CPU Water Block - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Fluid - Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel I7 950 - Evga GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 x2 in SLI - Tt SMART M1200W PSU - Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600 XMP - Klipsch 5.1 THX Cert Speakers - Sata II OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Kingston 120GB SV300, WD 2TB, & 320GB - Seagate 1TB - Cyborg RAT 7 MMO Mouse - Logitech G19 - Logitech G13 Gameboard - 1-over-3 Viewsonic's VA2448M-LED 24-Inch for Nvidia Surround - Ergotech Triple Horizontal LCD Monitor Arm Desk Stand

Last edited by Kayden; 08-08-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
This problem in particular isn't one I've ever experienced, though the reason behind it is again simple.
LOL... wait till you pull open a customer's machine and it's packed top to bottom with cockroaches...

Of course my all time favorite is: "My system got real quiet then it shut down"... pulled open the power supply and there was a baby gartersnake trapped in the intake fan!

Yep... schite happens my friend...

"An unexamined life is not worth living" ... Socrates
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Optix
Basket Chassis

The moral of the story - if it doesn't have a filter, it's an exhaust fan.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
The moral of the story - if it doesn't have a filter, it's an exhaust fan.
Or even simpler... cold air in... hot air out...

And yes filters are important... even the lowly scotchbrite pad will do!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
TheCrimsonStar
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango View Post
Or even simpler... cold air in... hot air out...

And yes filters are important... even the lowly scotchbrite pad will do!
huh...I'll have to try that!

-edit-

nevermind, I just bought some fan grilles from newegg

Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
ASUS Sabertooth P67
Corsair XMS 1600 8GB (2 x 4GB)
XFX Radeon HD 6970
Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W
Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
Windows 7 Professional (x64)

Last edited by TheCrimsonStar; 08-08-2011 at 02:26 PM.
TheCrimsonStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfig View Post
Getting another fan to act as intake close to the liquid exhaust fan, could eliminate any loss (if you experience any) of moving the liquid fan to outtake. Most of the air being pushed in would immediately be sucked out.
You mean like this?

http://www.corsair.com/cooling/hydro...pu-cooler.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	h70_angle.png
Views:	137
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
I blow out my machine at least every 2 months
My doctor recommended me do that daily to relieve stress, but he was a weirdo.

Quote:
LOL... wait till you pull open a customer's machine and it's packed top to bottom with cockroaches...
Just the thought of that makes me want to vomit =/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrimsonStar View Post
Tango is full of it. Cool ideas, that is

Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #12
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayden View Post
Go with a setup like mine and you will never hit 100c again (c:

I max out below 60c and that's with 2 other 580's on the same radiator fan system, even when my room is at 95f.

I blow out my machine at least every 2 months, I try to do it every month but sometimes I forget. You know those pics of people computers covered in dust? Yeah happened one to many times I was called out to fix a restart issue when I had my own Business in the 90's for fixing and maintaining them, had one catch fire one time. That's why I own a air compressor, much cheaper then can's of air in the long run. It is used for other things but that's the main use for it.
There was a post here a few months ago showing pictures and there were dead rats in the casings!!

I'll find the post, its disgusting and hilarious at the same time!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrimsonStar View Post

-edit-

nevermind, I just bought some fan grilles from newegg
Do a search here for scotchbrite, we did a thread on that a couple of years ago...

Old 08-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
marfig
No ROM battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Hehe! Wasn't thinking on something so drastic. But if that works, that works.

You know when two fans sitting close together, one in and the other out, will sort of cancel each other, reducing air flow to a small portion of the case? Well, that's more or less what you would want to happen if for some reason turning the liquid cooler to out reduces the cooling effect on your CPU.

Depending on your chassis, a side fan pointing to the CPU area, or a top fan, could be turned to intake. And the Corsair H60 fan would suck out a large portion of that air coming in. I'm guessing here. But this would allow you to get cooler air to go through the radiator, while not being forced to turn the H60 to intake. Worth a shot?

Quote:
Do a search here for scotchbrite, we did a thread on that a couple of years ago...
I did and it made me laugh, although I was pretty sure I knew what you were up to.

I'd totally go for that. Reminds me also of what I use to blow dust of my system. A simply muscle-driven blower: The Giottos Large Rocket-air.
Name:  giotto.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  4.0 KB

I used to use an Adorama Hurricane before. But I once read somewhere about the Giotto, by some guy who uses the same thing to clean their system, being a bit more powerful and more importantly, containing a valve that doesn't allow dust to be sucked inside.

These are all camera lenses blowers. They aren't that strong and won't clean a heavily dusted system. But they are all that is required, will work perfectly (and forever) and save you a lot of money, if you dust up once every 2 or 3 months.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX

Last edited by marfig; 08-08-2011 at 06:35 PM.
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

A friend of mine went through 3 different PC builds with a high CPU temp, different CPUs, power supply and heatsinks each time. When i finally got him to install some decent temp monitoring, i was alarmed that he had been using the same GPU in each build, a 3000 series AMD GPU that was idling at 80C. The GPU was adding an extra 10-20C on the CPU temp.

I bring this up as a reminder of sorts. Many of the modern stock GPU coolers use external venting, they use a blower that sucks in air from one end of the card and chucks it out through the backplate. However, if you were to use central or mutli-fan cooler on the CPU, you will be venting hot air inside the case. This does increase the internal temp.

Now this is when things get complicated. Corsair is correct in that having the fan blow inwards should be better - especially when you consider a GPU without a rear plate exhaust. But at the same time, with an exhausting GPU next to a wall, that hot air will rise and then be sucked in by the inward facing CPU fan.

So the configuration will largely depend on the setup. The air flow in the case, the exhaust of the GPU, number of hard drives, etc etc. So for certain configurations, changing the direction of the fan on the radiator will have little effect, on other systems, it may have a dramatic effect.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote