Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Thermaltake Frio OCK & Jing CPU Coolers Review

All CPU coolers promise effective CPU cooling, but how each one manages their goal can vary wildly. One may be super-quiet but be the size of a car, while another may be modest-sized but sound like a jet engine. The Frio OCK and Jing from Thermaltake aren't so extreme, but make a perfect case for noise vs. size vs. cooling performance.

You can read through Ryan's in-depth look at Thermaltake's Frio OCK and Jing CPU coolers and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
marfig
No ROM battery

Thanks for the deep review and entertaining reading, as usual. I'm still digesting the Sesame Street reference. It stroke a deep chord as it reminded me of the Muppets (Sesame Street wasn't a big part of my childhood. The show for some reason wasn't available here until later. But The Muppets where everywhere). And even today I love it when they do that back and forth thing and all the moving in and out of the screen. No one hasn't lived until they laughed at Mahna Mahna.

So yeah, wow. What a throwback! Thanks for that.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see where air cooling goes from here but until next time, today's episode has been brought to you by the letters T, and G and by the number 2
Interesting is the right word I'd say. I sincerely hope this is the last of this trend and something technologically revolutionary shows up, or we've seen the last of air cooling capabilities. Because bigger-is-better isn't just cutting it anymore.

As impressive as these coolers may be, I'm not in the mood to subject my vertical mobo setup to a 1 kg pressure for one, and not thrilled about adding a new clearance variable to my list of worries when buying hardware, for another.

Admittedly these are enthusiast products. But only to the extent that they can offer a solution beyond normal power usage. I can see myself interested in those temps and I'm not an OCer by any stretch of the mind. However, they are starting to present challenges that are just throwing us back in time. So, it should be interesting indeed. This will be either the last we've seen of air coolers, the start of a period of sheer madness (possibly the most likely), or the beginning of a better generation based on new technologies to bring the size down.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX

Last edited by marfig; 09-14-2011 at 08:22 AM.
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Optix
Basket Chassis

While digging around the Thermaltake website I found that they are quietly launching their own all in one liquid cooler so I think the company is starting to take notice of how capable this method of cooling has become and how popular it is.

Hmm...I checked the website just how and it looks like it's no longer posted. Strange.

One should hopefully be coming down the pipes to us if it's still being launched.

***EDIT: The Bigwater A80 is only posted on the global site.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I built a PC this past weekend for my grandmother using the FRIO OCK, and overall my experiences were good. I had installed the original FRIO a couple of times in the past, and was never thrilled with the mounting design (the four small rings on the back to secure the cooler in place aren't ideal), but the OCK mounted like a champ. This install also marked the first time in a good while where an AMD cooler install didn't make me want to throw the PC out the window.

But boy is this thing huge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	frio_ock.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	1353

It does cool well though. There's a rather simple quad-core Athlon in there running at 3.1GHz, but even during a stress test it didn't inch above 34C. That's what she needs since she's in a small apartment... no need to have her PC add heat to it in the summer (she did complain about wanting to use the PC as a heater during the winter though ;-)).

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None