Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Software > General Software

General Software Apple, Linux, Windows, alternative OS and software application chat here.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #16
marfig
No ROM battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMotorsports View Post
What concerns me is the this urge to upgrade all of a sudden that did not exist prior. Ive been in places where it was okay that we had to restart machines due to memory leaks. Too much of a pain to deploy that fix but now you moan that every 6 weeks there is a new version. How many people would wait 5 weeks when a new version of IE came out to even download it to see what the general feedback on the web is?
Here you have a valid argument. But what you are see isn't the norm. IT departments do follow upgrades closely. They test, and choose or not to deploy. IT Departments that don't follow normal upgrade releases aren't the ones you see complaining a little everywhere.

Furthermore, Firefox couldn't even once yet justify the change to a rapid release cycle. It's a fact that some sizable amount of corporations changed to Firefox. This is the only browser that took share from corporate IE. And yet, IT departments everywhere started experience an increase in the strain the browser puts on them without any real benefit. 7 was in fact a complete letdown and a loss of faith on the whole release schema and proved to some (me included) that this new method simply shifts a lot of the beta testing to the end user. It's unacceptable from an IT perspective.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
RainMotorsports
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfig View Post
It's a fact that some sizable amount of corporations changed to Firefox. This is the only browser that took share from corporate IE.
I worked a few places where the main stick for IE was they're use of ActiveX driven websites. Now IE tab works great for this but whats the point in switching. Some parts vendor search tools used it for Ford/GM. I cant remember if the main Ford sites used anything or not. After Allied Domecq dropped Dunkin brands their distributors switched over to a web based ordering system that needed IE as well as the store I managed used back office software for the registers that was browser based.

I can imagine the investment into ActiveX as a solution for interacting with systems that maintain inventories and data held a lot of companies to IE.

Last edited by RainMotorsports; 12-12-2011 at 03:40 PM.
RainMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #18
Kougar
Techgage Staff

I don't think it can, honestly. They had the top spot, then squandered it away by adopting this absurd marketing-based release cycle. It's undermined their own base of support and their credibility to boot. There are plenty of other choices out there with stable histories behind them now, and even the latest versions of IE will work well enough for most people. Once IE6 leaves, there won't be any single dominant browser or version left.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote