Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing

Mobile & Small Form-Factor Computing Discuss notebooks, PDAs, Smartphones, Cell Phones and all other mobile devices here.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Apple's iPad 3 Rumored to Launch in March

It's been rumored that Apple would be holding a media event this month to launch the third iteration of the iPad, but according to sources close to the folks at AllThingsD, it'll actually be March when it happens. At this point, no specs have been finalized about the device, though it's been heavily rumored that it will feature a dual-core processor and a "Retina Display" slated to have 4x the resolution of the first two iPads, at 2048x1536.

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
MacMan
Partition Master

The really weird thing is that those same rumors have helped to propel Apple's stock to even dizzier heights, up over $16 per share, and since Apple has over 933 million outstanding shares its market cap is now almost $60 billion more than Xxon, or worth more than Google and Microsoft combined, or almost twice that of Microsoft, or more than: With a market value of about $460 billion, Apple is worth more than Google, Goldman Sachs, General Motors, Ford, Starbucks and Boeing combined!

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ts-in-context/

Hopefully, it will be getting a quad-core A6 too, but we'll see?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
The really weird thing is that those same rumors have helped to propel Apple's stock to even dizzier heights, up over $16 per share, and since Apple has over 933 million outstanding shares its market cap is now almost $60 billion more than Xxon, or worth more than Google and Microsoft combined, or almost twice that of Microsoft, or more than: With a market value of about $460 billion, Apple is worth more than Google, Goldman Sachs, General Motors, Ford, Starbucks and Boeing combined!

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ts-in-context/

Hopefully, it will be getting a quad-core A6 too, but we'll see?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
marfig
No ROM battery

Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
MacMan
Partition Master

Sniff...sniff... I think me's smell some Apple bigotry in here...
Old 02-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Kougar
Techgage Staff

No bigotry here. But not really interested either... I have a Kindle Touch, and am addicted to the thing now. Can genuinely state I'm not even slightly interested in an iPad, or dirt cheap imitation.

Even if I had been, hearing about iPad 3 rumors 1-2x a month for the past 3-4 months running now would have to crimp the interest some. They get the facts wrong as often as they get them right, and half the time it's just educated guesses or wild speculation anyway!

I'd also attribute the stock price to other things, like the absurd last quarter performance results.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #7
MacMan
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kougar View Post
No bigotry here. But not really interested either... I have a Kindle Touch, and am addicted to the thing now. Can genuinely state I'm not even slightly interested in an iPad, or dirt cheap imitation.

Even if I had been, hearing about iPad 3 rumors 1-2x a month for the past 3-4 months running now would have to crimp the interest some. They get the facts wrong as often as they get them right, and half the time it's just educated guesses or wild speculation anyway!

I'd also attribute the stock price to other things, like the absurd last quarter performance results.
Nothing wrong with the Kindle Fire, it's the best tablet (for many) out there because, like the iPad, it doesn't focus on the highest specs at the lowest cost, but rather on content and the user experience which is a good thing, a good thing indeed. )
Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
marfig
No ROM battery

Quote:
Nothing wrong with the Kindle Fire, it's the best tablet (for many) out there because, like the iPad, it doesn't focus on the highest specs at the lowest cost, but rather on content and the user experience which is a good thing, a good thing indeed. )
Oh?
You will like Samsung tablets with Android then.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
MacMan
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by marfig View Post
Oh?
You will like Samsung tablets with Android then.
Actually, my HP eStation C510 printer came with a nifty 7 inch Android based tablet which I rather liked, but unfortunately, even though I loved the thing a chip failed so I got rid of the thing. Switched to a Lexmark I did, which I love, but I still must confess that I really miss the 510.

The Android tablet control (Android apps were forbidden to run on it, only custom apps written for the printer would work) worked absolutely great, but, however, it's just too bad one of the hardware's chips failed preventing me from copying or previewing anything. HP said they would fix the problem, but after failing to do so after a month of waiting I had no choice but to reluctantly get rid of the printer, complete with that cool little tablet ... those HP bastards!

As for Android, it has it strengths, but considering the deliberate and flagrant misuse of others IP, like those from Oracle and Apple, etc., contained within, I'm somewhat bias against Android due to ethical concerns, especially now that Google through its proxy, MMI, are making a mockery out of the very idea of FRAND patents.

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2012...eliminary.html

Last edited by MacMan; 02-11-2012 at 09:52 PM.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
Glider
Coastermaker

Quote:
As for Android, it has it strengths, but considering the deliberate and flagrant misuse of others IP, like those from Oracle and Apple, etc., contained within, I'm somewhat bias against Android due to ethical concerns, especially now that Google through its proxy, MMI, are making a mockery out of the very idea of FRAND patents.
You are kidding right?!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
MacMan
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
You are kidding right?!
Absolutely NOT, or don't your read?

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...facts-are.html
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
OriginalJoeCool
Tech Monkey

I strongly doubt Apple actually invented a lot of these things they have patents on. Word completion? That's been around for ages. Remember they tried to claim the rights to the GUI (desktop, windows, menus, etc), when both Microsoft and Apple "stole" the idea from the Xerox Alto.

Raptr

"Man could hold the universe in his palm, if only he could learn to unclench his fist."
OriginalJoeCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
MacMan
Partition Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalJoeCool View Post
I strongly doubt Apple actually invented a lot of these things they have patents on. Word completion? That's been around for ages. Remember they tried to claim the rights to the GUI (desktop, windows, menus, etc), when both Microsoft and Apple "stole" the idea from the Xerox Alto.
Microsoft might have stolen the G.U.I but Apple didn't, they paid Xerox $100,000,000 in non-voting stock for it. :O)

http://www.gladwell.com/2011/2011_05...ationmyth.html

http://www.mac-history.net/computer-...and-xerox-parc

Last edited by MacMan; 02-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.
MacMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Jakal
Tech Monkey

I read just fine..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-21/apple-sues-amazon-com-over-use-of-app-store-trademark.html

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ent-violations

http://gigaom.com/apple/apple-sues-s...r-ios-patents/

Apple cries like a baby when another product is legitimately better than theirs and they feel their users are too stupid to realize the difference between "Amazon" and "Apple". I couldn't care less about their stock figures. I want a product I can make my own in more ways than just the color of the case.

I'll go ahead and take the asshole title in this topic.

Intel C2Quad Q9400 @3.6Ghz | Asus PM5Q Deluxe | OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 8GB | XFX Black Edition 260/216| knobs are great for twisting, turning, squeezing and pulling... especially your own..... that's how doors open | Chaos Havok: grrrr im lagging me | <@Deathspawner> I wish I was in Windows :-/
Jakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakal View Post
I read just fine..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-21/apple-sues-amazon-com-over-use-of-app-store-trademark.html

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...ent-violations

http://gigaom.com/apple/apple-sues-s...r-ios-patents/

Apple cries like a baby when another product is legitimately better than theirs and they feel their users are too stupid to realize the difference between "Amazon" and "Apple". I couldn't care less about their stock figures. I want a product I can make my own in more ways than just the color of the case.

I'll go ahead and take the asshole title in this topic.

Oh shit. Things are about to get real. Your title going forward shall not be asshole. You shall be known as King. King Asshole is up for debate.

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote