Auzentech. A name that’s fairly new in the PC enthusiast world is throwing down the gauntlet to the likes of Creative, Turtle Beach and the rest of the established sound card companies out there with the release of their new X-Meridian. The X-Meridian is aimed at the user looking for high quality sound with no holds barred. While sound quality is the primary focus of the X-Meridian, it doesn’t leave gamers completely out in the cold and it does offer support for EAX 1 and 2, but that’s about all.
There’s no hardware acceleration for games, so the DSP duties are offloaded to the CPU. If you’re not concerned with having bleeding edge gaming performance though, and instead having top notch sound quality, read on.
Let’s see what Auzentech has to say about the X-Meridian:
Designed by Auzentech’s award-winning team of engineers, the new X-Meridian 7.1 sound card marks the dividing line between audio that sounds great, and audio that sounds perfect.
Like the X-Mystique and X-Plosion before it, the X-Meridian is a highly-anticipated Auzentech "World first" as the only all-original sound card engineered specifically to maximize the potential of the C-Media CMI-8788 chipset. The result is the highest quality Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital Live, and DTS Connect certified soundcard for your PC. X-Meridian delivers a pristine bitstream to your AV equipment as well as the highest analog output levels of any sound card on the market.
Upgrade to X-Meridian and cross over to pure high-resolution digital surround-sound audio while playing games, listening to music, or watching movies. Surround yourself with 24bit, 192 kHz resolution and better than 115 dB signal-to-noise ratio. Experience audio you can believe in.
Dolby Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience.
DTS Digital Surround is the sound format found in movie theaters. The Auzentech X-Meridian turns your PC into a DTS-Connect enabled PC capable of playing full surround sound from DTS-enabled movies, music videos, music discs, and games, as well as providing surround sound from normal stereo sources.
Dolby Digital Live, a real-time encoding technology, converts any audio signal into a Dolby Digital bit stream for transport and playback through a home theater system. With it, your PC or game console can be hooked up to your Dolby Digital-equipped audio/video receiver or digital speaker system via a single digital connection, ensuring the integrity of the audio signal.
Dolby Headphone technology allows users to wear any set of headphones and listen to music, watch movies, or play video games with the dramatic surround effects of a 5.1-channel soundtrack. Listeners enjoy a spacious, natural soundfield without disturbing others.
Engineered for Sound by Auzentech, the X-Meridian is designed by the award-winning engineers at Auzentech and constructed to a level of quality in order to thrill the most demanding of audiophiles.
- Pure electrical connections via gold plated PCB, jacks and metal bracket.
- Pure optical connections via Onboard Toslink input and output, Toslink Fiber Optic Cable.
- Swappable dual DIP type Operational Amplifiers (OPAMPs) for do-it-yourself upgrade for ultimate analog sound quality and color.
- Available Dolby Pro Logic IIx for transforming 5.1 channel surround sound into 6.1 or 7.1 channels Movie, Music or Game listening modes.
- Stunning realism for PC games, music and movies through the real-time interactive capabilities of DTS and DDL.
- Clear 24bit resolution that works with today’s Windows XP and tomorrow’s Windows Vista.
- Superior output levels with more that 115 dB signal-to-noise ratio.
Enjoy pure high-resolution digital surround-sound audio while playing games, listening to music, or watching movies. Experience audio you can believe in.
Dolby Pro Logic IIx
The age of 7.1 surround sound for the home is here. But it’s not just reserved for DVD movies encoded in Dolby Digital EX. With Dolby Pro Logic IIx, any movie, CD, TV program or video game can be enjoyed through this enhanced surround sound technology.
Pro Logic IIx is the first and only technology to expand any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience.
Three listening modes–Movie, Music or Game–allow you to tailor the audio to meet the different needs of the programming. In Game mode, for instance, special effects signals are routed to the surround channels for fuller, dramatic impact. Music mode features three additional user controls:
- Dolby Center Width adjusts the balance of the main vocals in the center and front channels.
- Dolby Panorama creates a seamless, wraparound surround effect.
- Dolby Dimension lets you set a deeper or shallower surround soundfield.
DTS Connect is the latest thing from DTS that turns your PC into an action-packed entertainment experience that surrounds you in sound. Make your movies, music and games come alive in exciting, dynamic, multi-channel DTS Digital Surround, the same sound format found in movie theaters. DTS Connect is a whole new way to enjoy your PC. DTS Connect makes it easy to turn your computer into the ultimate PC sound entertainment experience.
Dolby Digital Live
Enjoy audio from your PC or game console through your home theater with Dolby Digital Live. A real-time encoding technology, Dolby Digital Live converts any audio signal into a Dolby Digital bitstream for transport and playback through a home theater system. With it, your PC or game console can be hooked up to your Dolby Digital-equipped audio/video receiver or digital speaker system via a single digital connection, eliminating the confusion of multiple cables and ensuring the integrity of the audio signal.
Dolby Headphone: 5.1 surround sound through any pair of headphones.
Dolby Headphone technology allows users to wear any set of headphones and listen to music, watch movies, or play video games with the dramatic surround effects of a 5.1-channel soundtrack.
- Realistic 5.1 surround sound from any set of headphones
- Processes 24-bit/96 kHz audio, such as DVD-Audio which produces surround sound bit-for-bit identical to the studio masters.
- Superb surround sound with Dolby Pro Logic II from stereo music and movies.
- Enables enjoyment of surround sound without disturbing others.
- Improves listening comfort and reduces "listener fatigue."
- Allows stereo content to be heard as 5.1-channel surround sound (when combined with Dolby Pro Logic II).
- The C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788 Audio Processor is the heart of the AUZEN X-MERIDIAN 7.1.
- 4 pcs 24-bit/192kHz AK4396VF (120dB-part spec.) DACs for 7.1channel output. (24-bit/192kHz in 7.1channel playback)
- 1 pc 24-bit/192kHz AK5385VF(114dB-part spec.) ADC input (24-bit/192kHz recording)
- 1 pc CMI9780 AC’97 2.3 CODEC for AUX input, CD input, MIC input (16bit/48kHz playback/recording)
- Integrated up to 192k/24-bit S/PDIF transmitter for 44.1kHz,48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz SPDIF output.
- Supports onboard high grade special COAX+OPTIC combo type transmitter module for up to 192kHz SPDIF out.
- Integrated up to 192k/24-bit S/PDIF receiver for 44.1kHz,48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz SPDIF input.
- Supports onboard high grade special COAX+OPTIC combo type receiver module for up to 192kHz SPDIF input.
- Standard 10PIN Front Panel Audio supports connectivity for stereo audio output and a microphone input from most new chassis. (All 7.1channel analog output muted by jack connection sense of front panel headphone out / Dual MIC input available by back panel mic input and front panel mic input)
- DTS Interactive – A real-time 5.1 channel encoder.
- DTS Neo:PC – An upmix matrix technology.
- Dolby Digital Live (DDL) – A real-time 5.1 channel encoding.
- Dolby ProLogic IIx surround processor spreading stereo audio into 7.1 channel surround sound.
- Dolby Headphone technology, conveying 5.1 surround and 3D gaming audio over stereo headphones.
- Dolby Virtual Speaker solution, bringing amazing virtual surround sound fields via general two speakers.
- C-Media FlexBass – LFE channel crossover frequency setable from range 50 to 250Hz in Small speaker mode and Small/Large speaker selectable.
- C-Media Magic Voice, popular feature for disguising your tone in online chatting.
- C-Media Xear 3D 7.1 Virtual Speaker Shifter technology.
- C-Media’s unique Karaoke functions: Microphone Echo, Key-shifting.
- Individual 10-band EQ for each channel,.27 global reverberation environments.
- Supports most industrial standards of 3D sound for PC gaming, including EAX 1.0 & 2.0, A3D 1.0, and DirectSound.
- Swappable DIP type OPAMP controlled preamp out circuit (4pcs output control OPAMP IC with DIY socket)
- Surface mount type OPAMP controlled preamp input circuit (2pcs input control OPAMP for ADC and 1pc MIC input gain control)
- 5Vrms (Differential DAC output with gain adjustment / approximately full swing from +/- 8V dual power supply)
- Proper OPAMP control circuit (large capacity 1A +8V, -8V, dual power supply circuit) for high quality audio quality, prevent audio distortion at high volume level.
- Upgrade Extension available (Extra 6.35mm MIC / Extra Digital I/O sold separately)
- Supported operating systems:
Microsoft Windows 98SE / ME / 2000 Service Pack 3(SP3) / XP Service Pack 1(SP1) / Server 2003 SP1/ XP Media Center Edition 2005 (MCE) / XP x64 Edition.